No spark, 1974 sea king 25hp by chrysler

blazzer66

Cadet
I bought a chrysler wiring harness pre-wired on one end to the ignition and i wirednthe other end to the engine using this wiring schematic in the manual. There is no spark coming from the spark plugs(starter kicks on strong, it trys to start). When i was holding the coil with the plug attached to watch for a spark there was none. When my thumb was accidently touching the metal of the plug when starting then i felt and saw a spark, but only when i was touching it. Something to do with grounding? All the engine wires that are supposed to be grounded are securely to the engine. But on the wiring schematic, the harness goes to what looks like a ground block first and then from there to the ignition. I have it directly to the ignition. Could this be it,? I circled the part in the photo that i DO NOT have. Thank you in advanced, Mike(first time boat builder and outboard wiring!)Sketch121203548.jpg

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: No spark, 1974 sea king 25hp by chrysler

Ok your battery is grounded to the block. otherwise it wouldnt crank. the ground goes from the ignition block to the solenoid which is grounded to the battery. how about the rectifier? the ground from it runs back to the solenoid so it should be grounded as well unless its bad.

toddxian

Cadet

I had a similar problem, Remove the coils check for continuity. I had one coil intermittent, solid when i moved the post by applying pressure. Heated and removed old solder from the broken
joint. Make a new Solder Joint make sure your getting a good flow at the joint connection use a Magnifying lens.

Good luck.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I seem to remember answering this somewhere before. You were grounding the spark plug through your body instead of to the engine. Problem is solved now, isn't it?