please help me to ID Eska outboard

smokeysailor

Seaman Apprentice
This is my first time here so ........I was given this motor and would like to put it on my titan inflatable boat. The engine ran last summer but I don't know what gas mixture to use or even what horsepower it is. A 5 maybe...? On the engine it says made by Phelon Model F 5060. On a metal tag is T-627-01 3680224. Somewhere else is 140 5A5. And the spark plug in it is a J8.
The sticker is destroyed that has the other info. on it. I can read Eska though.....and maybe 506 but I am unsure... Is any of this helpful?
Picture is attached.
Picture 040.jpg

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: please help me to ID Eska outboard

T-627-01 indicates a 5 hp tecumseh motor from the early 60's.

smokeysailor

Seaman Apprentice

Based on the image I was going to say late 60's. I wanted to say probably 24-1 for the mix but this site What is the Oil to Fuel ratio for Eska 7 hp outboard motor says 16-1.

I heard the ratio is really important for these engines to get started and keep running.? This is going to be my 1st attempt at starting this motor up...what ratio would you use? Any other tips or checks I should do?
What about spark plug gap?
By the way I have looked and read other posts and web sites but not knowing exactly the year, make etc. makes this all a guessing game.

Last edited:

colbyt

If I could not pin it down any better I would err on the side of too much oil (16-1). Fouling the plug and smoking are about the only side effects. Chances are real good that you will need to clean the carb or rebuild it anyway. My second choice would be to use a 20-1 mix and split the difference.

My 79 or 80 model still took 32-1 so they always were heavy on the oil.

smokeysailor

Seaman Apprentice

I did a mixture of 16:1 and tried starting her up with no success. Tested 4 spark, there is a spark..maybe a bit weak, pulled the gas line and wasnt getting any gas, so turned the gas tank air screw and now seems to be gas now......

colbyt

A note just in case. Recently while trying to get a generator going that an older gentleman had let sit with gas in the tank, lines and carb. The tank nipple has closed from dried crud even though their was something liquid in the tank. The fuel filter was the same. No gas could leave the tank or pass the filter. It wasn't gas in the tank but it was liquid with a petro base.

After a pine-sol soaking, rinse and dry of the tank and carb it fired on the third pull of the rope. The gas lines were blown out with compressed air and a new filter was installed.