7 hp Ted Williams running and immediately dying

Dallas4

Recruit
I recently acquired a 1971 7hp Sears Ted Williams outboard. When I purchased the outboard it had set for 2 years and not been fired up. Since the purchase I have changed the spark plug and cleaned the carb. The engine will now fire up and run for 10 or 20 seconds very rough before it dies. Any ideas as to what is causing this and what I good solution may be to solve this problem? Any ideas will certainly be appreciated.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: 7 hp Ted Williams running and immediately dying

Welcome to iBoats . . .

Based on the symptoms, I would suspect a fuel delivery problem. So your initial priming of the fuel line gets enough fuel up to the carburetor, but fuel may not continue to flow.

I would work from the fuel tank on up to the carburetor . . . is there a fuel filter of some sort that may need replacing?

Dallas4

Recruit

Thank you for the information. After further investigation I have found that the carb is leaking somewhere around the bowl. I can't tell whether it is at the carb drain spring or the brass nut, that I think may be the "needle?" If that is the case which parts should I replace or should I try to track down a complete rebuild kit?

tpenfield

Staff member

I would go with a rebuilt kit . . . Not sure if you can buy a new carb for it.