1960's Flying Scott 60hp Awakening

rgballard

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Purchased a 1960's Flying Scott 60 hp motor this week. Looking to get her running. Did compression check on her She has the following:

Cylinder 1 (Top) 100psi
Cylinder 2 (Middle) 105psi
Cylinder 3 (Bottom) 105psi

I don't know what they should be, but they are in range of each other +-5psi.

I tested for spark and I do not have any spark on Cyl #1, Cyl #2, or Cyl #3. Not sure what this means (I will take advice from anyone out there). I will start diagnosing this system in the morning. This system has an alternator (stator), distributor. I am not familiar with these systems I have only ever worked on the magneto type before, so help would be greatly appreciated. Especially where to start.

Also does anyone know: The starter is fried (working on locating a new one), so I am hand cranking. Do I have to have the system hooked to a 12 volt battery and the ignition on, to pull start this motor? I am wondering if the reason there isn't any spark is because of a safety switch or something.

Thanks for your help.

p.s. Previous owner did have this motor running this year (he says ;)).

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1960's Flying Scott 60hp Awakening

I have the manual for this motor send me an email I will send it to ya. sdpuff62168@gmail.com.
compression is ok and check your points. think gap is .20

rgballard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks brim_buster I actually got one from you the other day. It has been very helpful too!

Update: So I did some YouTube studying last night on how distributor ignitions work in general without ignition modules and discovered that I do indeed need a 12 volt power source hooked up to one side of the coil (usually throught the ignition key). In my case it ended up being the Black wire (traces back to ign. coil) in the wire harness wired to the red wire (the 12 volt source) in the harness. I also realized looking at the wiring diagram that the Black wire also acts as a kill switch for the motor to stop at the ignition key.

Once I figured this out, I got spark! I will have to check the spark tonight in darker lighting conditions, but I got it none the less. Once I knew I had spark I put all the spark plugs back in put the boots back on and cranked here over, about to pulls and she fired right up! Ran for a bit and stalled out. She ran long enough for me to get a glimpse at whether the water pump was working (and it was). I think she ran out of gas, so I am off to the gas station to get some.

I am going to do a 50:1 fuel oil mix. This is what I have read for these motors, and was recommended by the previous owner.

Next on my list of things to do is:.

Double check the quality of spark on each plug, replace components as necessary.
Get a new starter or the one I have rebuilt (tired of pull starting her already).
Locate and inspect the impeller (most likely replace).

rgballard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got new gas for the motor. Cranked it over a couple times and it started right up. Throttled it down and it ran just great. Let it run for about 5 minutes. Looks like it pumps water. Shifted it into forward and got kind of a grinding sound, so I shifted it back to neutral. Shifted it to reverse and it ran ok. Shifted it back to neutral then to forward and got the same grinding sound. Looks like there is something wrong there. Shut it down and started inspecting. Looks like the controls are a little gummed up with crud, so I disconnected and tried manually shifting to forward with it running and I get the same thing.

So this morning I pulled the lower unit so I could inspect the impeller. One is missing a fin and the bail-o-matic one looks OK. I will order a new one and install later this week. Looks like I am going to have to take the lower unit apart and rebuild. I just don't feel comfortable with the problem I am having with forward that there isn't something majorly wrong with the gears in there. I will inspect and decide if it is worth going further.

rgballard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Pulled the lower unit today. Disassembled the water pump the Bail-o-matic impeller looks good, but the main impeller is missing a fin, so I will replace that. I am going to pull the gears out of the lower unit and inspect those.

rgballard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Disassembled the lower unit today for a rebuild (much easier then my 30hp '56 Johnson). Pulled everything apart and looks like I have a couple teeth missing from the Gear-Pinion located on the drive shaft. I will attempt locate one and continue my fix. I will post some photos of the disassemble once my phone charges.

Dee Jsaan

Seaman Apprentice

I was just reading about that top cylinder compression being just a little off.

Recently I was in a "Rural King" store in Gallipolis, Ohio and saw a product actually for lawn equipment. It's by "PB Blaster" if anyone here is familiar with that product. It is a LawnMower Tune Up aerosol for the cylinders. You tdc the piston and spray some of the product into it and it slowly works its way down into the "ring lands" and dissolves and frees up sticking parts to restore compression etc.

p2772883dt.jpg

I haven't tried it yet and didn't know if anyone here knew about it. So, I just wanted to put it on the table.

rgballard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Was able to get a new Gear-Pinion and lower unit seal kit through Laings Outboards. Just had to call them and ask because it was not on their website. So I got that all installed and reassembled. I also cleaned all the metal fragments out of the lower unit.

I got a new impeller through Water Pump Impellers I had send in my old one. Now I just need to get that installed and get the lower unit put back on the motor. Then time to test run.

I am a little worried because the shift rod in the lower unit seems really stiff. I hope this doesn't become a problem. Not sure what I can do about it. I inspected it when I had it all apart and it seemed alright, just stiff. Hoping some gear oil in the lower unit will help.

I also ordered a new shifting cable for the controls, becuase the current one is really hard to move. It should be here in a couple days. After I get all that installed I should be ready to go out on the water!

On a side note. I located a starter for this motor randomly while on a drive around a local lake. I stopped and a local (boat motor) junk yard and he had a starter and for half the price I had been quoted else where! Yeah, to not having to rope start this beast anymore. I think this motor is starting to work out for me! Can't wait to get out on the water.

rgballard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Guess I haven't posted any pics. Here are some.
2013-07-17 10.58.50.jpg
2013-07-17 10.58.58.jpg
2013-07-17 11.00.23.jpg
2013-07-09 21.11.04.jpg
2013-07-17 11.00.37.jpg

Last edited:

Willyclay

Captain

Was able to get a new Gear-Pinion and lower unit seal kit through Laings Outboards.

Was the Gear-Pinion really "new" or just new to you? Everything sounds great and thanks for the pix. Good luck!

rgballard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Was the Gear-Pinion really "new" or just new to you? Everything sounds great and thanks for the pix. Good luck!

It was just new to me. I believe it came off a parts motor.

rgballard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Working on putting the new impeller in today. Can't seem to get the key to go in for the impeller. Not sure if anyone is familiar with these or knows a trick? I would nominate this for the worst design ever that is for sure.

2013-08-21 09.16.17.jpg 2013-08-21 09.17.17.jpg

I will take any suggestions that anyone has for getting this key in. I can't figure it out. I might get it on pure luck.

rgballard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Was able to get the impeller key in place. Wasn't to hard after I realized the key hole wasn't big enough, so I filed that for a bit and it went in better.

Got the lower unit put on and fired it up for a test run in the bucket. Ran in Neutral ok, but when I put it in drive it still gave that grinding sound. I thought my problem was the drive pinion (because it was obviously broken), but now I am thinking the clutch dog needs to be replaced. I notice some where on it when I had it apart, but did think much of it because it still engaged. I should have just taken the time to replace it when I had it all apart. Well, I guess I will be dismantling again. I think I will locate a clutch dog for it first.

Guess this boat may not get out this year.

Willyclay

Captain

We're pulling for you to get that beauty running properly again!

Mister Zag

Recruit
How did things go with this motor? I've recently acquired one myself and have it in pieces. Critters set up house in two cylinders. Busted shifter linkage (not the extended one like yours though). I'm in for some misery if I can't find a donor motor for bits and pieces. I'd love to hear what you've found

latemodel

Cadet
Let me know what you need along with the serial number of your motor. I might have parts or know where you can get them. There are two completly different shift setups on this motor, early and late. The early has a small cover on the leg to get the linkage apart. Late doesn't have it.

Don

nwcove

Admiral
....the op hasnt posted in over a year about his motor...with all do respect, have a quick look at the forum rules.