1960 gale part numbers

Bigford

Recruit
Hello new to the boating world love the info everyone has. I have a 1960 gale 25 hp 22de17b. I need to seal the lower unit seems to be leaking and seems to be slipping I need the part number for the seal kit, water pump, carb kit is there a kit with out the cork float and has the plastic one. The water in my barrel smells like gas but thats normal from what I'm reading but water is black. If oil is getting out water getting in.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1960 gale part numbers

That stuff is available right here at iboats. Use the 1957 Evinrude or Johnson 35hp listings. The carburetor kit does not include a float, nor does iboats carry a float for it. If you need that, you'll have to get it, or a carb kit, from an Evinrude dealer. The new float will be cork with epoxy coating, not the old original orange shellac.

The black scum in the barrel is absolutely normal and not a leak. It is the oil that you put in the gas that has gone through the engine and done it's job, then out the exhaust. It turned black in the exhaust where it picked up carbon particles. That doesn't mean you may not also have a gear oil leak, but just saying you'll never stop the black scum unless you quit putting oil in the gas. That'll stop it, and the engine, never to run again.

Bigford

Recruit

Thanks a lot I guess I might be more ready for the water then I thought. Ill change the lower unit oil and head for the water how much oil will it use.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The book says 12 ounces. More or less.

Bigford

Recruit

1957 Evinrude or Johnson 35hp listings work for the lower unit seal kit?? I went to change my oil in the lower unit it's all milky and a can not put the lower train plug in something is not lining up down there so I'm going to have to pull it but I'd like to have my parts in the mail thanks a lot for any info

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I'll get right back to you on the seal kit. I may have given you some bum information. There were some seal changes around about that time.

Congratulations, you are the 3,467,523rd person to take that screw out and can't get it back in. That is not the drain plug. The drain is on the bottom, just forward of the skeg.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

OK, I checked, the '57 seal kit should work for you. However, there are some changes in the gears and bearings inside, so don't use that model if you need anything like that. Here is the 12D17B gearcase:

Attachments

• Pg 10 Gearcase.jpg
    Pg 10 Gearcase.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Pg 11 Gearcase Parts List.jpg
    Pg 11 Gearcase Parts List.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 0