Gale buccaneer 15hp

Eyeballsdeep

Seaman
I have an old 15hp gale buccaneer. I was wondering what the cowl looks like if you guys have any links or other information on them. Modle #15d^10b and serial # 38947. I think it's early 70's. found it on my property. It was siezed but I freed it up. through some oil in the plug holes and let it sit then just slowly rocked the flywheel back and forth by hand. it came lose without much effort, and it feels like it has good comp. I was wondering what one of these is worth, bottom end is in great shape. Looks like it had barly anytime on the water. Mostly just sun baked, from leaning against a tree for 30+ years. And the lower unit was buried a foot deep in old leaves and dirt. I took the bottom end apart and there is no wear at all on the gears. Not even a burr on the magnet. I sure it will need an impeller but that's expected. Any info would be appreciated.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gale buccaneer 15hp

1510 makes it a 1960 model and some parts for these outboards are getting more difficult to find. As for worth $150- $300 if running.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I have lots of information on it. I was a full time dealer mechanic for a Buccaneer dealer when it was new (1960). Just what do you want to know, short of typing out the entire book?

You can just about bet the farm that the coils are long ago shot. ALL 1960 OMC coils are cracked, unless already replaced. You need a flywheel puller to get it off (harmonic balancer puller with Grade 8 bolts), and a torque wrench to put it back on @40-45 foot pounds. Don't try to cheat on these. iboats has the new coils, and any other ignition or carburetor parts, and the impeller.

The lower crankshaft seal was the weak point on those. If it leaks (and it will), water gets into the crankcase and destroys all the bearings. You should check that seal and replace it whether it needs it or not. Powerhead removal is required to access it.

They are very good motors when in good condition. Lord knows what kind of condition it is in after leaning up against a tree and being half swallowed up in the Earth for half a century.

Attachments

• 1960 Gale 15hp.jpg
    1960 Gale 15hp.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think I have the repair manual for it in PDF format if you want it.