1965 Ted Williams 7.5 HP - Need Advice

Windchime

Cadet
I have a 1965 Ted Williams 7.5 HP motor that appears to be in good condition. It doesn't run at the moment. My problem is that I am used to working on Eskas, little Mercurys, little Suzukis where I can easily get to pretty much everything that needs tweaking. As I look at this Ted Williams, it looks to me like I practically have to disassemble the whole power head just to even get to the carburator. The housing appears to completely cover every means of getting to the screws holding the carburator. The advice I would like is from someone who has worked with this engine for a while and can tell me if there is some easy way to get to the carburator that I am just missing, or is it as hard as it looks. Even just replacing fuel hoses is made difficult by the housing. If it is simply one of those engines that drive you out of your mind, let me know and I'll abandon it before I go crazy. If there's a website with useful tips, I would be grateful for a pointer. I have the repair manual, but to be honest, it hasn't been much help. All opinions and any help welcomed.

The Info in the ID tag is:
Serial Number 65600710-1420
Model 57460120
Sears Roebuck and Co.
Simpsons Sears LTD, Canada

To see photos of the engine with emphasis on showing how difficult it is to access the carb and its associated screws, etc., go to photobucket.com, log in as pasha404 with password pasha404

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1965 Ted Williams 7.5 HP - Need Advice

Get a model number and post it. What shroud? Starter shroud/blower housing? '65 is pretty early, si I may have no idea - these guys know your motor better than most men know their wives;

eskaoutboards : Eska Outboards Group

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer

The motor was made by McCulloch/Scott Elgin. You're correct, you need to pull the power head to do pretty much anything, including carb and impeller. They're nice little motors, just a pain to work on. While you have it apart be sure to replace the fuel pump diaphragm, it has to be in perfect condition for the motor to run...and it's down in there :grumpy:

Windchime

Cadet

Tom, Thanks for your reply. That was pretty much what I was looking for. I think I will just abandon this particular project and get rid of the motor. I have other motors easier to work on that will push my boat just as well. I'll also nominate the engineer that designed this motor for a lifetime "Bucket-O-Crap" award. If design engineers had to spend five years repairing the engines they design, motors like this wouldn't exist.