1948 Goodyear SeaBee lower unit oil

Pthom

Recruit
I have a 1948 SeaBee made by Goodyear, which is made by Gale, I believe. Does anyone know which screws are used to change the lower unit oil? I see 2 screws, but they are at the same level, not one higher than the other. Am I on the correct screws?

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1948 Goodyear SeaBee lower unit oil

I have a 48 Atlas Royal which may be related to your motor. I've yet to get working on it but I do have two screws at the same level; one on each side of the lower unit. What I will probably do is take the screws out; turn it on one side and pump some Lubriplate 105 gear grease (available at NAPA) in. Pump it in and watch the old lube exit the other hole. When I start seeing Lubriplate I'll stop. You'll never get a 100% out but lower units (with gear grease and a side by side configuration) can survive without a surgical precision. Water in the lower unit should also exit and hopefully it's not filled with water which will indicate a seal problem. Let me know how you make out. I'm finishing up my Chris Craft and have no time for the 'orphan' right now.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1948 Goodyear SeaBee lower unit oil

Those are the correct screws. One large one and one small one. Those motors had terrible seals. Expect water entry. For that reason, lube it often.