1948 Firestone 3.6 Hp Outboard Motor

sean787879

Seaman Apprentice
I just picked this motor up at a flea market for $40.00! Believe me, this thing is barn fresh! I have been spraying WD40 on some of the rusted out areas. I have kind of freed up some of the really rusted out parts. In the long run for its age it is really not in that bad of condition. But there is one problem.... The motor is locked up. No compression what so ever. :mad:I am going to make this into a summer project. My goal is to free it up and get it running by the end of August. Any suggestions on trying to free up the engine?

goriath

Recruit
Re: 1948 Firestone 3.6 Hp Outboard Motor

Ive used diesel in the chamber, set the motor so that the piston is horizontal, and pour a cupful of diesel into the combustion chamber, leave to soak for a few days, Check every so often, If the diesel is gone or leaking out, its working, start to rock the piston back and forth. The real risky one is to heat the diesel up so that its HOT and then pour it in, But I would advise against that, Did it to release a seized block on a Volvo 760, It worked, but the risk of it going pop in your face is quite high.

sean787879

Seaman Apprentice

It was actually pretty ease to unlock it then I thought. I decided to take my pliers and start moving the crankshaft and it unlocked. Now, I just can not get the thing to start. Tomorrow am I going to put some fresh gas in it, new plugs, and get some carb cleaner and see if I can get the thing to fire up. I am sure it will eventually. These things are bullet proof.

sean787879

Seaman Apprentice

Also, why won't the gas cap come off? I can not get it off for the life of me!

sean787879

Seaman Apprentice

Any advice on the gas cap? I really want to be able to put some fresh gas in the thing.... Lol

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

Neck is brass, pipe wrench or vice grips around cap, tap lightly in both directions.