Scott- McCulloch 1960 Wizard

ku4do

Recruit
I have a 3.6 Wizard with the number A7BB- 2814 stamped on the block. It appears to have a Wizard decal under a bad paint job the Motor and shaft seem to have been white with a blue-green starter housing. I am intrested in restoring for use. Every thing moves freely and all parts appear to be present. Any advice would be appreciated.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Scott- McCulloch 1960 Wizard

It appears you have done research on the motor and know it is the evolution of the old Scott-Atwater that came out in the 1940's. They are great running motors. Is there a specific question you have? Sorry, I don't have any info on the colors.

ku4do

Recruit

It appears you have done research on the motor and know it is the evolution of the old Scott-Atwater that came out in the 1940's. They are great running motors. Is there a specific question you have? Sorry, I don't have any info on the colors.

Where should I start? I do not know if I should just start rebuilding things or where to start I know that I neeed to check the compression, and spark, the tank appears to be in good shape still has an oily arreance.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There are differing schools of thought on that. Personally, what I would do is first a general visual evaluation, which you seem to have already done. Is it complete, any obvious problems, etc. Then check the 3 main things any engine needs to run. 1. Does it have enough compression? 2. Does it have spark? 3. Does it have fuel? (in this case, is the tank clean)

Taking in order, if compression is bad, you have to decide whether or not it is worth proceeding. If ok, move on to number two. If no spark, you have to find out why not. Then again, decide whether or not it is fixable, and for how much.

Those two items taken care of, I'd put the proper gas mix in it and see if it will run. You may be surprised. Either it will or it won't, or it does, but poorly. NOW you can tell what else needs attention.

I am not in favor of simply tearing everything apart right off the bat. Plenty of time to replace the water pump and reseal the gearcase and rebuild the carburetor once the basic steps are taken care of.

Oh yeah, somewhere along the line you should have checked for lube in the lower unit.

Willyclay

Captain

Welcome to the iboats.com forum. The members here are great and the experts, which I am not, can help you with any questions about your motor. You already have forum guru F_R posting in your thread so you are in excellent shape. If you want some service info on your motor, it can be found at the link below:

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topic...nline-service-info-not-just-boats-393281.html

LOGON as directed then drill down to: Small Engine, Marine/Boat Motors, McCulloch and, finally, 3-1/2. Good luck!

Last edited:

ku4do

Recruit

There is no spark so I pulled the flywheel and the points look ok but he coil covering is cracked. Should I just start looking for a replacement. It appears that according to what I have read it may be hard to find or costly it has the letter FR at the beginning.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 61 or 2 'Scotty' 3.6 and I believe I may have replaced the coil body using an OMC coil onto the Wico field of the Scotty. Some of the Scott products and their cousins (like Firestone) had a couple of different size fields. It has to be what I believe is a 7/16th field (the other I believe is a 5/8 which is too thick). There's a whole article about doing this 'transplant' out there on the internet. You might find it by searching for oddjob motors or maybe someone with a better memory can steer you.