1996 Sears Gamefisher 3hp (Tanaka) outboard problem

griggsb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought this motor about a week ago. Cleaned out the fuel tank, petcock, and carb. All was well, and running good. Durring the past few days, I had some petcock problems (old junk plugging up). So I got it flowing good now. Im running marine gas with Lucas 2 stroke synthetic. Compression is 145psi. Problem is in the last few days something has happened, and it wants to run lean at idle. It will run with choke off, or with choke fully on (and wont flood out)????? If i stick my finger over carb bore, it will die. Ive had the carb apart about 6 times. Ive blown through the passages with medium air pressure. Ive tested needle and seat, and it works as it should. Also when I try to cold start, It wont start with choke on. I have to stick my finger over the inlet to manually choke it. It revs fine, but idles too lean. Not like it did in this video after I first got it running a few days ago... 1996 Sears Gamefisher 3hp air cooled outboard motor - YouTube Ill post a video of it in its current condition tomorrow. It seems like it has an air leak somewhere to me. I sprayed wd40 around the carb mounting, and don't notice a difference. The intake bolts are tight. Muffler was a bit loose, but is now tight. Im thinking that the crank seals may have went south. Any ideas? I collect, and repair outboards as a hobby. Im no expert, but this has me stumped.:facepalm:

M

mrcrabs

Re: 1996 Sears Gamefisher 3hp (Tanaka) outboard problem

cylinder gasket leaking and sucking air?? maybe its lose or the gasket is split, or as you said the crank seals gone, but I doubt that because its running...., have you checked on how much side to side movement you get at the flywheel? Its been said prolonged WOT will burn them up but then thats disputable
Oh well Robert Graham will know

griggsb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No flywheel movement from side to side. Cylinder bolts are tight. I took off carb, and gave it an ultrasonic bath. Got some varnish flakes out of the 2 passages. Not exactly sure on how the flow goes through them. If they are idle passages as I suspect, I may have just found the problem. If there was that restriction at idle circuit, that could be the lean condition (at idle). High speed was fine. I'll re test tomorrow, and respond with my results. Thanks for the reply.

M

mrcrabs

I think your onto something there griggsb, hey that ultrasonic sure makes them old carbs look like new, that Merc AJ was impressive, looked factory freesh to me

griggsb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It does an amazing job. Hopefully I'll get it figured out today. Fingers crossed.