1956 Montgomery ward 12 hp sea king

Seanmotor

Cadet
I'm having trouble putting my pull start assembly back together correctly there is a pin that catches the housing I guess to help hold everything I think I'm missing the spring. I took it all apart an put it back together an start the motor the rope pulls back in but when I pull it again the Pawl's don't activate.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1956 Montgomery ward 12 hp sea king

If you post a picture of the underside of the assembly we can help with what is going on.

Ill assume you started by cleaning the spring assembly and lubing?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Im curious as to why this was moved? It was in the correct location to start with. Moderators, this motor is an OMC product

Seanmotor

Cadet

Thank you Chris I think I figured it out I got a guy to fax me the exploded diagram an figured out the friction spring got missplaced I found one today for 32 bucks with shipping expensive little thing I will try to post pics I'm new to thisimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

32 bucks? Holy cow where did you get it from>? lol

Seanmotor

Cadet

32 bucks? Holy cow where did you get it from>? lol

I live in cape hatteras nc so that's why it was so much I wish I didn't misplace the one I had I took this thing apart a year ago got frustrated an gave up then the other day started messin with it after a lot of research on this site an got it to fire right up its an amazing feeling tHat I love getting this motor That is 67 years old I luv it tHanku for your input

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Im curious as to why this was moved? It was in the correct location to start with. Moderators, this motor is an OMC product
Yes an OMC product but not an Evinrude or Johnson.
Built by Gale Some of their motors are exclusive to Gale Some are hand me downs from older OMC motors.
Still others are very similar to the OMC motors.
Seaking is an "other" outboard.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

Yes an OMC product but not an Evinrude or Johnson.
Built by Gale Some of their motors are exclusive to Gale Some are hand me downs from older OMC motors.
Still others are very similar to the OMC motors.
Seaking is an "other" outboard.
Well put.
Sea King, Brooklure, Viking, Sea Bee and I'm sure others were all Gale motors for the most part. Some later Sea King & Viking motors were Chrysler (West Bend) based.

Attached is a list of the Sea King 12 horse models for 1956, and the Gale models they were based on:

Sea King 12 to Gale.jpg