Magneto Coil replacement 1961 McCulloch Royal Scott

motor.jpg

Coil 1.jpg

coil 2.jpg

Coil 3.jpg

Good evening All.

Title says it all. I just bought this motor a couple weeks ago.

I am a newby, so please, easy on the abreviations (smile). Newby: meaning this is the first boat motor I've ever touched. I've had my old cars and did all the work myself, just never had the fortune of dealing with a two-stroke/smaller engine.

I don't plan on ripping into this motor, not by any means. I simply want to replace the crusty wiring, already ordered my kits for the two Carter Model N carbs, the ignition coil, the water pump (not figured out where it is yet, but I'm just working from the top-down right now) and my first order of business... the "magneto coil" (two of them).

I've not seen them anywhere on the internet. Any suggestions on finding a direct replacement? Anyone know what I could use as a replacement?

(The photos show where she was when I bought her, the Magneto Coil, and the wiring to the ground and the magneto.)

Thank you in advance for being willing to share,

Joe

Willyclay

Captain
Re: Magneto Coil replacement 1961 McCulloch Royal Scott

Welcome to the iboats.com forum! The members here are great and the experts, which I am not, can help you with any questions about that great old motor. The link below will get you to some service info for your motor. Good luck!

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topic...nline-service-info-not-just-boats-393281.html

Login as directed then drill down to: Small Engines, Marine/Boat Motors, McCulloch and, finally, Royal Scott.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I don't think that is a magneto. It is battery ignition, similar to cars of the day, except a separate coil, points & condenser for each cylinder instead of one coil and a distributor. You can use car coils if you can figure out a way to mount them.

I don't think that is a magneto. It is battery ignition, similar to cars of the day, except a separate coil, points & condenser for each cylinder instead of one coil and a distributor. You can use car coils if you can figure out a way to mount them.

That would definitely be good news. Makes sense to me.

Thank you for your input!

torbjorn

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Late response but maybe better late than never. I just got a 1960 model 40 running, same setup. Battery ignition, I can tell you how to wire it to an OMC key switch. Replacing all the wires coming out of the flywheel is simple and necessary. I can also tell you how to set the metering rods on the Cartr N carbs. Let me know.