Info on 1961 firestone Viscount 12 HP ..paint scheme

Papabuckhorn

Recruit
i just purchased a 1961 firestone viscount 12 hp outbooard(westbend)..i want to restore it and need to get some pictures of the original paint scheme.
The engine is seized but i want to try and get it running as its a need looking motor and i like projects to play with.
if anyone could send me or tell me where i can get pictures or manuals that would be great.
Thanks
Ray

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Info on 1961 firestone Viscount 12 HP ..paint scheme

Darn, I have a picture of those somewhere. Now if I could only find where I filed it. I'll keep looking.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Info on 1961 firestone Viscount 12 HP ..paint scheme

Two things:

The color: If I'm not mistaken the motor is a re-badged Elgin built by West Bend. They're nice motors. There are sites on-line where you can get exact match paint but the cost will probably be more than the motor is worth. I'd go to one of your local retailers that sells spray cans of paint and find a close match. Unless you want it in a museum just go with what you can live with. I'm in the process right now with a Chris Craft 5 horse outboard. I found a close match at Pep Boys with a Ford paint.

Seized motor: The motor is probably seized from sitting. You can try soaking the pistons (through the spark hole) with a number of solution recommendations that you'll find on-line or at this site. If you are in no hurry try it. Otherwise what I I've done with a number of motors is remove the intake (behind the carb). You will see the crank. Use a teflon or wood pin and hammer to smack the crankshaft counter wights ( the heavy area on the crank). Don't be a caveman. Hit it mildly so as not to damage the bearings. Try one way and than the other. Once it starts to move add lube and it will give up the ghost. Let us know how you make out.