3 hp Tanaka/Gamefisher idling and prop issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfa4303

Banned
Hi all. After many, many years of trusty, reliable service my little 3 hp, air-cooled Gamefisher kicker motor is acting up. I believe the centrifugal clutch may be worn/broken as I can now spin the prop in either direction, even with the motor turned off, whereas I was unable to do so in the past. As a result, the prop spins even at the lowest idle settings. I used to be able to set the idle so low you could practically count the rpm without the prop engaging, then as you rolled on the power, the prop would engage and off you go. Now, the prop spins no matter what, and I can't get the motor to idle down like I used to despite multiple carb cleanings and fuel line inspections. It also bogs down and hesitates slightly when giving it more throttle, but I think that may be a separate issue. It's now as if the clutch is permanently engaged. It works great at higher rpms and can run WOT all day without issue, but it no longer idles like it used to. Is there any way to remove the power head to inspect/repair the clutch itself? I'd hate to have to get rid of it, but it may cost more to fix than its worth. Thanks for any help.

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 3 hp Tanaka/Gamefisher idling and prop issues

I too have this motor but i just bought mine used. from my understanding the clutch is pretty easy to get to. beleive its the 4 screws on the bottom. as far as what to do once ur in ther is another story. my clutch seems to work properly but cant get it to stay running. I have pulled the carb off and cleaned it and everything looks in pretty good condition. do u know where to get replacement parts for it?

wannabelikeme

Recruit
Re: 3 hp Tanaka/Gamefisher idling and prop issues

I too have this motor but i just bought mine used. from my understanding the clutch is pretty easy to get to. beleive its the 4 screws on the bottom. as far as what to do once ur in ther is another story. my clutch seems to work properly but cant get it to stay running. I have pulled the carb off and cleaned it and everything looks in pretty good condition. do u know where to get replacement parts for it?

I've my TOB300 for a long time as a trolling and "get-home" motor. Aside from being an ultra light, its also a very reliable motor. Dropped it once and cracked the plastic shroud ( which I removed, now I can see the level of gas in my tank), cracked the flange on the carb intake, cracked the gas tank( can only fill it halfway now), and damaged the vent on the gas cap. I have been searching for a while for parts source with no luck 'til I came across this website OEM Parts .You might want to give this a try.

Ed ke6bnl

Recruit
it is as easy as you say to get to the clutch. I did find the clutch material for the small flex metal clutch not connected, I epoxied it back to the spring steel. BUT this is a discontinued part, does any one know of a place to get replacements. Right now I will let it set for 24 hrs to test with epoxy, I have done that before with good results.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
it is as easy as you say to get to the clutch. I did find the clutch material for the small flex metal clutch not connected, I epoxied it back to the spring steel. BUT this is a discontinued part, does any one know of a place to get replacements. Right now I will let it set for 24 hrs to test with epoxy, I have done that before with good results.

4+ years old. Start a new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.