Eska/Golden Arrow with Lauson Carburetor (1963)

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
I have the motor running for a minute or so. I have to use (the frowned upon I know) starting fluid to get it to fire and have to keep the choke on almost full. When I take the choke from full back a bit the motor really takes off; however she will die unexpectedly after a minute or so. The carburetor is a Lauson with a diaphragm on the bottom. The diaphragm looks good (at least to me) and I cleaned the passageways for the two needle adjustments. There is no bowl or float. Any idea on why she runs for a bit and then shuts down?

ps Sears actually sells the parts for the carb.

M

mrcrabs

Re: Eska/Golden Arrow with Lauson Carburetor (1963)

I know your savy to most of this stuff but I would certianly pop the welch plugs and soak that carb body in B12 or laquer thinner for a day or two ( my concern would be the atmospheric relief and or the diaphragm just not doing its job do to old age ) and pull the gas fitting at the tank and check the screen, I bet you can beat the sears parts prices just about any place my friend, I would start with Ebay and search under Tecumseh carburetor, that carb is very common on a bunch of old equipment and tons of kits are floating out there for cheap.

PS Sear says they have lots of thing they don't....lol...ask me how I know

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks mrcrabs: I did check ebay and found a diaphragm for $3.50 with free shipping. You can't beat that. Sears was about 17 with shipping. Hope it's the right one since I can't find a model # on the carb. Seems that this model diaphragm is common for manyof the motors. For the price I'll take a shot.

As for the tank and screen: I did clean the tank of rust (not bad to begin with) and I removed the screen since it was a bit beat. I put an inline filter on the new gas line. (The outside of the tank was rusted and I coated it with POR - probably why I got it for $10).

If the diaphragm doesn't do the trick I'll follow your recommendations for a complete soaking and welch plug removal.

I'll let you know what happens! thanks

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Took the high and low speed needles out. Shot starting fluid through and it went into the throttle body indicating there was no blockage. I don't think there is an atmospheric relief on this carb other than the hole in the bottom of the carb where the diaphragm flutters back and forth. It's a pretty simple carburetor. I just can't figure why it won't keep running / fuel flow.

M

mrcrabs

Well they all have to be atmosphericley relieved somehow for gravity flow to work, I reck un on some other thing then, still bettin on a full soak, lind of like that sat bath before going to town...your chances of sucsses go way up...LOL

I started to leave a "vintage" welch plug on my AJ2J firestone carb, glad I didn't...it would have never run and I soaked it for a a full day $ night.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Finally got the Eska up and running. I soaked the carb body in lacquer thinner, replaced the rubber O rings on the two jets and put in the new diaphragm. Still would not start unless I shot gas/oil mix into the carb. Long story short - I had the diaphragm in upside down. When it's upside down there is no way the metal contact on the diaphragm can contact the (short) pin to pump the gas. When I installed the new diaphragm earlier on is when I made the mistake. I'll never know if it was the diaphragm or a gummed up carb but the bottom line is it's up and running. MrCrabs; your advice on the carbs is on the money. You really have to make sure every chamber is cleaned out. I'm going to return to the 'possessed' 5 horse Firestone that I've submitted questions about earlier. The carb is going to be cleaned out to the bone.

M

mrcrabs

Yep you got to keep your orifices's clean:D

Scott Awater carb lab going on here, Thin cork gasket material seems to be hard to get but the thick gray paper is about the same.
I plan to post some stuff, half my living room is scott Atwater atifacts, my wife dosent know it but my 56 10hp Gold pennat is coming into the living room as well....as a display...it matches my grannys rugs :p