1999 Suzuki DT100 a lemon?

wportkid

Cadet
I bought a 1999 Suzuki DT100 2 years ago and have had nothing but problems with it. Is this model just a bad motor? So far I've spent $1400+ at a Suzuki dealer for servicing (multiple visits)...cleaned the carbs, rebuilt the carbs, full tune up etc, plus many many hours working on it myself. Replaced the fuel tank and lines, add Stabil and Sea Foam to the fuel all the time. It runs rough, stalls when idling, coughs and sneezes at low to mid speed, drops RPMs at WOT, lots of unburned fuel / oil out the exhaust into the water, etc. etc. Does anyone out there have a DT100 that runs well? I've owned outboards for 50+ years and never had as many problems with one motor. I'm thinking I should just dump this motor and start fresh with a new one. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999 Suzuki DT100 a lemon?

I think you'll get more responses in the Nissan/Suzuki forum.
A wonder if it may have ignition problems. Could cause what appears to be flooding,sneezing ,coughing,dropped speed.
Have you tried unhooking the fuel line to see if it smooths out as the fuel supply dwindles?
What do the plugs look like after a couple of hours run time?
Has anyone done a detailed ignition trouble shoot?

wportkid

Cadet
Re: 1999 Suzuki DT100 a lemon?

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I will also post on the forum you suggest. No I haven't done any of what you've asked. I actually never suspected ignition problems so that is helpful. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch, but have assumed a fuel quality problem...and have replaced the fuel tank and lines, done the Sea Foam Deep Creep cleaning routine etc, mixing Sea Foam in the fuel thinking the carbs are gunked up. Soon I'll be hauling the boat for the season, and I'm thinking I should spend the $$ and bring it to a Suzuki dealer to diagnose what's going on.