Gale Buccaneer 25HP

projectwater

Recruit
Hey all,
Just picked up a 25hp gale buccaneer. I looked around on the Buccaneer-Gale Outboards page on this site, and did not find the model number on the motor on the page. The model number on the motor is 25DB21B. Any idea what year this motor is from? I attached a few pictures of the motor. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
buccaneer1.jpgbuccaneer2.jpgbuccaneer3.jpg

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gale Buccaneer 25HP

I have the identical motor (one of the best running motors I have) but it's a 15 horse version. It's a 63 if I remember correctly. One of the last Gales.

projectwater

Recruit

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Javinix: thanks for the site. the 21 at the end makes it a '63, I think.

twocyclemania: great to hear! this one runs pretty good right now, think it needs a carb kit, though.

I am starting to think that that "B" is really an "E". It would make more sense, as it does have electric start. The "E" probably signifies electric start.

I read online that the internals were somewhat standardized between all the OMC motors of this era. Would a carb kit for a Johnny or a 'Rude of the same vintage and horsepower be compatible? Or is this carb unique?

Thanks!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Nothing unique about it. A Johnrude carb kit for the 25-40hp Big Twin models will work just fine...

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It is a 1963. Use a Johnson/Evinrude carb kit for a 1967 33hp. It will give you the correct number of packings, etc.