Firestone 10 hp impeller

OLDWRENCH2

Recruit
On rebuild of Firestone 10 hp (scott Atwater 1956) It was running hot. I took power head off and opened up the water pump to find a new impeller, but there is no key or pin to drive the impeller. There is a double keyway in the impeller proper, but no apparent way to attach it to the shaft. There are two flats machined in the shaft, but again, no way that I can see to attach the impeller Any help? Any suggestions sincerely appreciated. Thanks, guys.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Firestone 10 hp impeller

By two flats, I assume you mean one above the other, right? And it only has one pump, right?

OK, the key is a round stainless steel pin that stands on end in the flat, and the impeller is what keeps it from falling out. The design allows the shaft to rotate a bit in the wrong direction without bending the impeller blades backwards. Bouncing back off the last compression stroke when shutting down is what causes the backwards rotation.

Removing the impeller without watching what you are doing often results in the pin falling out and getting lost. To assemble it, hold the key/pin in place with a dab of heavy grease.

The second flat and pump is for the Bail-A-Matic boat bailer pump that was used on the Scott-Atwater motors. Scott built your Firestone, but Firestones did not get a bailer pump.

OLDWRENCH2

Recruit
Re: Firestone 10 hp impeller

By two flats, I assume you mean one above the other, right? And it only has one pump, right?

OK, the key is a round stainless steel pin that stands on end in the flat, and the impeller is what keeps it from falling out. The design allows the shaft to rotate a bit in the wrong direction without bending the impeller blades backwards. Bouncing back off the last compression stroke when shutting down is what causes the backwards rotation.

Removing the impeller without watching what you are doing often results in the pin falling out and getting lost. To assemble it, hold the key/pin in place with a dab of heavy grease.

The second flat and pump is for the Bail-A-Matic boat bailer pump that was used on the Scott-Atwater motors. Scott built your Firestone, but Firestones did not get a bailer pump.

Thanks so much for the info. Your answer is so painfully obvious, that I feel like a dork for not being able to figure it out.