Newbie with a Ted Williams 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadtrep

Recruit
Hello all, I picked up a Ted Williams 5.5 off of craigslist two nights ago. I took it home and started fooling around with it. I have read that the model # is supposed to be around the transom clamp, however I cannot find it for the life of me. The engine # is 643-14A, and I know the model # is supposed to start with 217.XXXX I need to order an impeller and a carb kit for it, so I might just use someone else's model # that I found in another thread.

I tried starting it off of the gas that was in the tank but it barely ran. I then gave it one squirt of fresh gas down the carb and he sprand to life! If any one has any advice on things I should know about this little motor it would be greatly appreciated. It like to make this old motor a somewhat reliable performer. This is my first time working on an outboard engine, and I cant wait to learn! So if any one has any words of wisdom feel free to leave them here. Also my prop is a little banged up, Im definately gonna need a new one of those.

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Newbie with a Ted Williams 5.5

Go to Other outboards and surf around. Welcome to iboats.

deadtrep

Recruit

Could someone tell me how to drain the gear fluid from the lower end and what the fill and vent holes are for? Thank you.

frank7ptbk

Recruit

Hope someone answers because I have the same motor and questions you do. Questions about the FILL and VENT screws and what are you supposed to fill it with and how much.

If you need a Model # mine is 217.5943.2

5.5 hp Sears Ted Williams

I think mine is a 1973.

I just mix 4 ounces of 2 cycle oil per 1 gallon regular unleaded gas and seems to run fine.

Frank7ptbk

deadtrep

Recruit

I took the carb apart and cleaned it, and Ted runs really good now. I noticed that when I gave it full throttle the engine would just shut off. After further research, it appears that the wire for the condenser under the flywheel rubs on the flywheel and kills the spark. So it looks like I need to pull the flywheel and get a new set of points. I shall keep you updated on the progress, thank you very much for your model #. I am going to pull the prop off and pull the cap on the bottom of the drive as I think that is the only way to drain the gear oil. Also, I picked up outboard drive oil from a local napa.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

Sears models 217.59430 and 59431 both used Tecumseh 643-14A engines. They like a 24: ratio, and 90 weight gear lube in the lower unit. They both use a clutch below the power head, so the drive shaft doesn't turn at idle, and neither does the water pump. Use this site for part numbers only

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...247/1305320?pathTaken=&prst=0&shdMod=21759431

get parts from here;

http://www.boatsportandtackle.com/servlet/the-Eska--dsh--Sears--fdsh--Ted-Wms/Categories

or Certified Parts Corporation. There's a phone number in their vintage section, have your part numbers ready.

deadtrep

Recruit

I know this has been beaten to death but I cannot find the serial # on this motor anywhere, and I don't know how I'll be able to register it without it. Could someone please tell me where it is on their motors. I have checked the transom clamp and I can't find any numbers. I hate to sound like a desperate newb but I've got this whole motor all torn apart and i havent seen any numbers. Thank you very much!

georgiastriper

Recruit
I realize that this is an old thread, but here's the answer to the last question. If you are sitting inside the boat, turn the motor 90 degrees left or right. Look at the top of the transom clamp rearward of the mounting bolts. You should see it on top. If you only see two small holes a couple of inches apart, it has been removed.

Attachments

• 20160912_185304.jpg
    20160912_185304.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.