46' Firestone coil blues

KICKEDBACK

Cadet
Howdy, I have had a good but trying adventure with my 3.6. This motor was made the same year I was born and I like that fact alot. It is running but has a occasional "klunk" type miss while speeding it up. I removed the fly wheel and spotted what looks like a mouse took a bite off the top edge of the coil. I cleaned and set the points (.020) and filled the "chomp" with liqued electrical tape and it is just a little better. I am wondering if a 2 part epoxy would be O.K.? I think it is shorting to something under the fly wheel. If this is a "do not do" then has any one substituted the coil with another and if so what did you use.
The lower unit and I had a grand adventure, but today with about 1 hour of testing, that is in good shape too. On a 46' /462 series the prop cover is on the prop side and after extensive searching I believe it was a bad design and why mine was cracked in half in 2 places. Trying to weld it did not work but as I am 1/2 okie I fixed it by stacking aluminum...1/4" plate with a 3/4" pc and a seal plate of 1/4" also. If I knew how to add a picture I would be embarresd as all the shaping was done on my shopfox metal band saw. The bushing hole and the seal hole was done at a machine shop but all else was at home. Its crude but works perfect.
I think the space ship gas tank is beautiful and not being a purist I will repaint the entire motor soon...I'm thinking a bright orange for the tank and flat black on the fly wheel and rope start, silver power head and gloss black on down. Hey! I like Halloween colors, it's my BD.
I wanted to share my day with a motor that was given to me. Hope everyone has good days too. :D

Ned L

Commander
Re: 46' Firestone coil blues

Hm, I'm thinking that the liquid electrical tape should work fine. If you have a resonable thickness built up I don't see why epoxy would be any better. I've had a couple of old outboards that 'miss' and cough periodically at lower speeds and have always thought it to be more of a carburation issue (a bit to lean maybe?).

KICKEDBACK

Cadet

Chief, there are several adjustment screws on the carb and that is where I will go next. I just went with the most obvious. If the coil does go south...I still wonder if any one has replaced it and with what? Thanks for the good response.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

If the coil is no good (and I'd clean/file/lubricate the points before anything - they're usually a problem) you might go for a new condenser. I do believe original or similar condensers are available (about $10). I think you can find them on-line or you might try NAPA. If not an OMC condenser will work though mounting may need some adaptation.

As for a replacement coil: You can use an OMC coil. The field of the coil you now have is too thick to accept an OMC coil. However, later model Wico coils had a thinner field and they mount they same; exactly the same as and will accept an OMC coil as a replacement. Good luck in finding one but they are available. Go to 'oddjob motors' web site. This guy; Max M., will spell it out for you. I've used OMC coils on a number of Firestone, Elgin, and Scott outboards along with condensers. They work just fine.

I've always hoped someone with machine shop capability would try to machine down the existing thick (5/8" I believe) field to one that would accept the OMC (1/2" I believe) coil. I would try it but I'm a butcher and my father, the machinist, is working in heaven. I think it would work.

I have a 48 Elgin which is same as what you have. I just finished getting the ignition working after cleaning the points twice. Those old brown/orange coils are pretty tough and that's what I'm using along with an old condenser. I'm still trying to get it running as now I knowI have a fuel problem. A work in progress.

good luck!

KICKEDBACK

Cadet

DSCF0009.jpgDSCF0010.jpgDSCF0011.jpgDSCF0012.jpgDSCF0013.jpgO.K. here we go...I covered the top of the coil with a 3m brand splicing tape, over the electrical liqued tape. Set the points at .020 and the champ plugs at .035 and started it...still had a miss then it hit me like a rock!!!The gas tank had about a cup of fuel in it and with it tilted back!! Refilled the tank with 24:1 and fired it up and it runs like a striped..well you know where I'm going. No miss and will idle down and it starts the first time. I just tickle the float like I did my ole Triumph and "BOOM" WOW I sure do like this motor. I have some pic's that also show the prop cover I made, and it workd just fine. After about an hour running you can put your cheek on it! It runs cool. I hope this helps somebody else that has a similar problem and many thanks for your responses. I love the smoke it makes.

Last edited:

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Nice little motor and I'm glad you get her up and running. With these old motors sometimes you get really lucky and you did. Good luck with it!