1966 McCulloch 4 HP Outboard Impeller/pump question

Hodmokrin

Cadet
Hello,

I removed the bottom half of a 1966 McCulloch 4 HP outboard and did not have a chance to note the position of the water "impeller" when i removed it. There are 3 possible positions... i provided a picture to help explain my problem. I just need to know which of the 3 positions the "nipple" on the rubber ring needs to go into.

I ran this motor last summer, but it began running hot, and i suspected the impeller was worn out. Now i am suspecting maybe someone before me installed it incorrectly since it seems to be functional (not worn).

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 6

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1966 McCulloch 4 HP Outboard Impeller/pump question

I have a 3.6 Scotty (1961) with the exact same setup. I put a new impeller in it and like you I did not notice the the location of the 'nipple.' I believe I placed it where you have it located in the picture. She overheated. I took it apart and moved it over one notch to the left. I believe that's the correct position but my memory may not be the best. Never even thought about the other left (wide) position; I don't think that's it. Unfortunately I've had problems with the carburetor float (not letting fuel in) and put her away for another day since I've got others to work on. Try the other position to the left and let me know how you make out. I believe that is it.

Hodmokrin

Cadet

Yup, you are right. I moved it to the middle, and ran it, and it seems to be misting water out of the exhaust like it should be. This motor is so noisy, i think i am going to fix it and sell it. Thanks for the help.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Glad I was able to help. I don't know if you've noticed the noise while in a tank or on the water but I'd give it a try before you dump it. They're decent motors though I've always preferred OMC's.