Tohatsu 4 hp thumping noise

blacksmithden

Recruit
Good day all. Well, the search didn't reveal anything, so here's my problem

I have a Tohatsu 4.0hp with about 12 hours on it. It's a 2011 model, bought new 2 months ago. The last time out, right from the get go, it had this thumping noise. The speed of it goes up and down with the engine speed, but doesn't match the engine RPM by a broad stretch. It will do this in forward, neutral, and reverse, and its not intermittent. Running it in a barrel in neutral, and reaching down with a broom handle to stop the prop completely doesn't make any difference.

In the one video, it's pretty hard to hear. Listen for the locomotive CLUNK, clunk.................CLUNK, clunk. It's easier to hear in the video where I'm tapping my finger on the edge of the barrel in time with the clunk.

I was a professional auto mechanic for 11 years, and have been professional heavy equipment mechanic for the past 14. I've also had a professional marine mechanic with over 20 years experience listen to this video. Neither one of us have every heard an outboard make this noise before. It's under warranty, and I'll take it in if I have to, but I usually just fix my own stuff rather than leave it in a shop for weeks on end. If anyone has experienced this noise before, I'd really appreciate hearing about it before I start tearing into this little guy. Thanks....blacksmithden.....

Edit: Ooops...only allowed one video in a post. No problem..the second one is where you can hear the noise better anyway. :)

M

mrcrabs

Re: Tohatsu 4 hp thumping noise

Hey, there is a Tohatsu forum that you might do better in, we here in the "other outboards" forum are just into the world of the strange and ocult outboards :eek: