1993/94 Sears Gamefisher 15 hp by force - crankshaft and Block assembly question

Wolfs_hell

Cadet
I have a sears gamefisher, 15 hp, buy force. model number 225-581506. i had to dismantle the power head due to a fuel/air leak at the lower crank shaft seal. My questions are as follows:

#1 all the diagrams I can find show an o ring above the lower bearing cage at the bottom of the block. However, when i took everything apart, there was no o ring. So, do I need the o ring or not, and if I do, where do I put it?

#2 when I put the cylinder block back together, i beleive that after degreasing I have to re-seal it with Permatex #2 non hardening sealent, do I coat the entire serface where the block and the cover go together?

#3 and finally, can i replace the cylinder block screws that hold the cover and block together, both the 4 larger and 8 smaller, with hex head screws/bolts without messing anything up? I have seen other mechanical applications that you could not change screw head types. I ask because the slot headed screws are a pain in the but to take out and torque back in.

Thanks in advance

M

mrcrabs

Re: 1993/94 Sears Gamefisher 15 hp by force - crankshaft and Block assembly question

Welcome to Iboats,
The diagram I'm looking at does not show the O ring but its possible theres a labyrinth seal between cylinders but I really don't know, as far as the sealer, http://www.permatex.com/products/au...akers/Permatex_Anaerobic_Flange_Sealant_a.htm I suggest you try to keep it back from the inner edge so it doesn't end up inside the crank case.
As far as the slotted screw I would go to a Fastenal store and replace with something easer to work with no doubt.

the only O ring I see is the shaft seal inside the crank

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...00066618/00007?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=225581506

Wolfs_hell

Cadet
Re: 1993/94 Sears Gamefisher 15 hp by force - crankshaft and Block assembly question

thanks for the advice! I am getting flanged hex bolts, and i got a local marina to show me how thick to apply the sealent. i am using permatex #2 as that is what is apparently recomended. as for the o ring, i think it goes above the lower bearings at the bottom of the crank. The exploded diagram shows it aboce that bearing set , so it should be correct. unfortunatly, the marina mechanic hadnt done a force under 75hp in years and couldnt remember anything about the o ring. once again, thanks.