79-80 15hp Montgomery Ward Sea King

duane1976

Cadet
I have a 15hp, and I am wondering if its air cooled or water cooled? I got this motor from my uncle who was going to toss it. It was able to get it running, but there is no water, just air coming out the back! I don't want to take it out on a test run on the boat, just incase the water pump isn't working.

Thanks.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 79-80 15hp Montgomery Ward Sea King

Water cooled.
Profile,location? You might be close to someone who can help.

duane1976

Cadet

Thanks! Now, I need to find the waterpump and get that water pumping!

duane1976

Cadet

OK, It's a 1983 15 hp Chrysler... Now, where is this water pump?

skills

Cadet

There's an impeller that is located in the lower unit. Pretty much every outboard out there has it located there. You'll have to remove the lower unit to replace it. While you have it off it's a great time to flush the lower unit and fill with new gear lube. Don't run the motor any more until you have a new impeller. You can get the impeller for less than $20 on here.

Some guys replace the impeller every year, just to make sure their motor is always cooled. Considering the cost of a new motor, the impeller is a small price to pay.

duane1976

Cadet

How can you tell if its bad or not? It spun still. I'll just order a new one just to be safe. Thanks. It was not difficult to gt to it, as youtube helped allot!

Thanks!

skills

Cadet

The easy way to tell is if the motor doesn't have a steady stream of warm/hot water when running then it's not pumping. Spitting water doesn't count either, you need a steady stream.

I count this in the "cheaper to replace this than the whole motor" category, and change it whenever there's ANY doubt. For such a simple job there's really no excuse to ever burn up a motor due to a bad impeller. jmho

duane1976

Cadet
Any easy way of replacing the rope on the recoil? It broke last season... Would like to have it replaced this week.