Block needed for 5hp Gale Buccaneer

Walleyeguy2

Recruit
I'm looking for a block... 5hp Gale Buccaneer serial# 866693 model 5D-22B. I believe this to be a 1963 please correct me if I'm wrong. I bought a 14ft alum boat and this motor was thrown in on the deal, man said it ran great the last time he fished. I tried to pull the rope but seemed to be seized up, the guy said it was just the rope and that it is tangled up in re-coil. After some inspecting, "3 hours worth" the piston in lower cylinder was completely seized up with rust and bearings where all over the bottom of block...so long story short I'm need of a block. Are parts still available for this power head, pistons, rings bearings, gasket kit, possible crank too? Or will this be even worth re-building?? Thanks for any advise.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Block needed for 5hp Gale Buccaneer

If it's a 63 it's probably the last year they made the Gale products. It is a desirable motor. Instead of spending the time, money and effort to rebuild the motor I'd keep an eye out on ebay and just swap out the power head. An easy job. You may have to wait a while for one to appear but the motor is worth it. I have plenty of motors I'd like to see run but I'm waiting for a part or two to show up. Also, there are folks here that are much more knowledgeable than me. You may want to inquire if any of the the other OMC products (Evinrude, Johnson, etc.) are compatible. I believe Sea King is a very similar motor. Good luck and with a few bucks you'll have a nice and collectable motor.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy Walleyeguy2

Welcome to iboats. :)

Check the salvage yards listed in the Engine FAQs list. They might have one, or a JohnnyRude block that will interchange with it.

Good luck. :)

Walleyeguy2

Recruit

Thanks for the info. I'm wondering what years would work and inter change or will I need the same year power head?

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

You won't necessarily need the same year. OMC (Evinrude, Johnson, Gale, Sea King) did not change blocks every year. In fact many motors were the same for quite a few years. The 18 Evinrude or Johnson (my favorite) used the same block from about 1957 to about 1972. I'd bet that the 5 horse block is interchangeable with different makes and many years. Unfortunately I'm not an expert on the compatibility. Hopefully someone at this site can help you out. Good luck!

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Here's a couple more things I thought about so here's my two cents. Your motor is an OMC parts bin motor. In other words, leftover parts from one year or another of Evinrude and Johnson went into these motors. I have a 63 Gale 15 and it has the same block as my 1956 15 Evinrude (I'm not complaining). In 1957 Evinrude moved on and made the 18 with a different block but must have had a supply of the 15's and put together the Gales and Sea Kings for the next 5 or 6 years. There are some 5 horse powerheads on ebay as I write this but they're overpriced. Some are asking close to a hundred; I wouldn't pay more than 35 for a good one. That's why I have motors waiting for parts; I'm not going to spend a hundred to put together a motor I picked up for 25 that's worth 50 when I'm done. If this is your only baby and you want it running you may not be as cheap as me. To each his own. Another thing to consider; make sure the bottom of the 'donor' powerhead has everything matching up with yours (ports,mounting holes, coolant returns, and the overall outline, etc). I put an 18 Johnson powerhead on an 18 Evinrude to have the choke not line up with the cover opening. Not a big deal as I used a plastic tie to the choke to stick out the hole in the cover but make sure the essential mounting is compatible. Good luck!