Head gasket for Firestone 5 - sealant or no sealant?

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Getting ready to replace the head gasket on my 1950 5 horse Firestone with a new one. Should I use any sealant with the gasket. Most of the time (right or wrong) I put a thin coating of Permatex Hi-Tack just to make sure of a good seal; especially when (I know, it's frowned upon) re-use the head gasket if it looks good and I don't have a new one. What is the opinion and recommendation. I use very little since I've found it spreads and can restrict the coolant flow. thanks!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Head gasket for Firestone 5 - sealant or no sealant?

I would use some sealant, and absolutely if going to re-use a gasket. But that would only be if there was no other choice.

M

mrcrabs

Indian head gasket shellac;)

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

mrcrabs: First time I heard about using shellac but I think I may understand why. The gasket on this motor is pretty fragile and has none of the metal crimpings around the cylinders that I'm used to on the OMC's. The metal (and shellac) obviously gives the gasket more strength. I don't know why (other than I felt sorry for them) I let the Firestone's and Scotts into my inventory when the OMC's run so well.

Anyway, my new gasket (NOS) arrived and I'm ready to install. I picked up a bottle of the Indian Head shellac. Any idea on the head bolt torque for this 5 horse.

Thanks!

M

mrcrabs

I used it on my old GMC's thermostat housing, its the only thing I have found that will handle the pressure

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Finished it and she's up and running. I did not check the compression but she seems to pull start very easily; like there's little compression. However, I'm not going to ask questions she runs fine...............except it's doing the same thing my 3.6 Scotty is doing. They run out of fuel within 30 seconds and have to sit for a while and then the same thing over again. Both have tanks on top and the flow from them is good. I just re-attached the cork float on the 3.6 and she still becomes fuel starved. Now the Firestone 5 is doing the same thing. Is there something about the Tillitson carbs that's an inherent problem? Should I replace the floats in both (one metal and one cork)? Anybody experience similar problems with these motors / carbs? Now I've got two motors conspiring against me.