1963 Elgin 7.5hp

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK. I need some help for sure on this. I traded a spotlight and a cheap handheld harbor freight fish finder for this jewel. I have never seen a motor like this one, but it looks to be absolutely perfect for my narrow 14' flat bottom jon boat. He said it was running a few years ago and parked it after the prop broke. So I know I have to find a new prop. It says "weedless" when I looked up the serial number. What other brands and models can I look under to find a prop?

The motor appears to have good compression, but I haven't had a chance to get my compression tester out yet. How do I change the impeller? I have read that it is a nightmare to change, but I'm guessing it needs done before I try to fire it up. Gas mix? 50:1?

Lastly, the hood has a tiny crack that you really can't even see. I really couldn't believe it. But the cover over the levers in the front is broken. I seriously doubt I'll find another one. Since most of it is there, I might see if I can take the time and make a fiberglass one using the old one as a mold. Can anyone post a pic of what the cover is supposed to look like?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1963 Elgin 7.5hp

Sounds like you have a McCulloch-built motor. So you are limited in brands to search under. The earliest ones were a nightmare to change the impeller, but I think they were easier by 1963. Drop the gearcase down a bit and look in to see if it has a shift rod disconnect. If it does, you got it made. If it doesn't, you start at the flywheel nut and work your way down.

Most of them have cracked hoods, and I have yet to hear of any way of fixing it.

You either love them or you hate them.

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, I had a few moments while my little one was taking a nap... I removed 2 lower leg bolts and the leg drops about 3/4" to 1" down. I disconnected the shift rod right at the linkage at the very top of the motor just to see if it will come down any further. It doesn't. What I'm seeing looks like a water pump housing, but I can not be sure. How do I get the leg off?

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got the impeller out. Not bad really once the flywheel is off. You do, indeed, have to pull the power head. Now, I'm off to find parts!

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I need some more help. The prop that came on the motor was broke and not repairable. I do not have much money into this thing and really want to find a cheap prop. What would be compatible? I see alot of cheap props in good shape, but no matter how cheap it is if its not right, it won't go. This is the weedless model.

M

mrcrabs

post a pic of your weedless prop, nothing would be compatible but OE least you lug or over rev your outboard.

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My serial number is 63600710. My broken prop looks like the one pictured. I was hoping other makers would have shared the same prop since McCulloch seemed to make the motor. Also, when I removed my powerhead, I only found one impeller. Is my motor bailer equipped?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A lot can change in more than two years, when this topic last had activity. Please start a new fresh topic.