Gale-Johnson Model 35DE13B, 35hp mid-50's Throttle linkage question

rdryer

Cadet
This is the Gale Sovereign engine, I've done the "pay someone else $500 to mess it up worse," routine, now I'm back to doing it myself. While looking closely at the linkage under the flywheel I noticed a curved flat linkage part that was connected to a peg under the back of the flywheel, but the other end was not connected to anything and it was very bent looking. I straightened the flatness of it but still didn't see what it connects to (i.e. throttle push wire with the adjustable stop on it?) I have had very poor idle control over the motor and it currently has stopped running. What is this curved flat link and what do I connect it to? Thanks

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Gale-Johnson Model 35DE13B, 35hp mid-50's Throttle linkage question

That is your throttle advance linkage. If it's bent, then someone has forced it at one time or another. It sucks when you pay someone $500 to mess it up even more. It goes to show you, there are too many nig nogs and flunkies out there ripping people off. One end hooks to the lever (which runs vertically on the side of the powerhead) and the other end hook to the underside of the mag plate.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

After it is hooked up, it must be in proper sync.
Pin 5 holds curved link to arm 8, washer and cotter pin on bottom. The guy probably left the cotter pin out (???)

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 0
  • 40hp Link and Sync.jpg
    40hp Link and Sync.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Pg 35E-6 Powerhead.jpg
    Pg 35E-6 Powerhead.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 0

rdryer

Cadet

Pin 5 holds curved link to arm 8, washer and cotter pin on bottom. The guy probably left the cotter pin out (???)

What does it mean to be in proper sync.? I was able to compare my linkage with another 50's johnson and see that I now have it connected correctly but when I try to crank the engine it slams my throttle lever back all the way because the throttle advance swings clockwise on the motor while cranking and it is very hard cranking even with a fresh battery. How can I adjust it to crank easier? RD

rdryer

Cadet

BTW that other motor that I compared this one to is an Evinrude 35. The only numbers I have on it are 25930 16843. A assume it is a '52, it hasn't been run in years and needs new plug wires. How can I begin to rejuvinate this engine?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Slamming the throttle with cranking the motor points to the coils are dragging on the flywheel magnets. Where did you find that $500 guy??

Sync means the carburetor throttle valve must be synchronized with the spark advance. Things have to happen in the right sequence or it will run lousy.

25930 is a 1957. 35DE13B is a 1960

You need to pull the flywheel to correct the coils clearance problem. You can check out the rest of the ignition system while in there. You need a flywheel puller to get it off and a Torque wrench to put it back on. An automotive harmonic balancer puller will work as a flywheel puller. Some places like Auto Zone will rent you one.

rdryer

Cadet

Thank You, now I can finally order the right parts!

rdryer

Cadet

I found the problem. A bolt had come out of one of the condenser eyelet/ magneto armatures and so it was binding up on the fly wheel. The $500 guy was a backwoods boat shop in el-mirage/ Sun City along hwy 60.

kbrawlz

Recruit

Regarding the photos you posted, you don't happen to have the full PDF file will all the parts schematics and part numbers do you? At the very least I am looking for the part numbers for the throttle lock, shifter lock, and lock springs for the 35de13b. I haven't had luck so far using google, eBay, and other forums.

Thank you for your time.