Tanaka Motors

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
So, who is a good parts source for the Tanaka motors. I have a little 1hp TAS motor that needs starter pawls. Out of all my motors, this is really the only one I can't yank the rope and get to run. Thanks for the help.:cool:

M

mrcrabs

Re: Tanaka Motors

I would give this guy a try, He has a bunch of Eska stuff so you might get lucky or get a hot lead.
Dave Mettle at Dave’s Boats 614-864-7057
boat.dave@yahoo.com

Good luck

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Cool deal. Mine isn't an Eska, but it's worth a shot. Thanks a bunch.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, I went out and got some numbers off this little drink mixer. The number is 036563. Not sure if that's the model or serial number and the manufacture date is November 1974. 1hp at 6500 RPMS.......WHAT??:eek::eek: Holy crap, that's about like a Mazda rotary at redline. LOL No wonder I've heard these little buggers are potent for their horsepower and it merely a weedeater with a prop. Well, nevertheless, this little motor is in top shape and won't take much to get it running, once I replace the pawl springs.

Update: Turns out this motor is a TAS TOB/12B

Attachments

• Tanaka flywheel.jpg
    Tanaka flywheel.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 1
M

mrcrabs

I have a eye's peeled for ebay parts for you, I was thinking that the this guy Dave since he deals in so much small stuff like Eska's he might just have one hanging around, I ran across him on a national criags list search and he donated a Eska twin short block for Ed Stoller's simulator...he has pilles of Eska junk so theres got to be a Tanaky or two in his hep...I would think.

Maybe go down to Florida and hang with Paul Pro and the boys, Ah.... I mean the twins....:p....I'm sure you could work out some way to get what you need, be sure to take your speedo:D

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Oh yea, I've been doing a little surfing on stuff for this little motor, since I posted this thread. I even found one on ebay, just like mine. I may just order a set of springs from the later Tanaka 1.2hp, or do some experimental retro-fitting. It looks like there's some tricks I can do, to put some springs on there. It's a darned nice looking little motor and excellent shape. It'll be fun to get this one live again.

Apparently, Tanaka was in production from 1977 - 2001, so I'm guessing that TAS Motor is the previous company. Mine looks a lot like the 1.2 Tanaka, but a few minor mechanical and cosmetic differences. It appears the powerheads and lower units are basically the same though. It just blows my mind at how fast these things turn up, at WOT. LOL

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found some Tanaka parts for my Gamefisher 1.2 on ereplacementparts. I got seals for mine, for spares as a leaking seal will cause them to run lean and sieze.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, I haven't even got mine started yet. It looks to be in great shape, so I'm not forseeing any problems getting it to run. It's just the pawl springs are broke. I'm going to try some springs from the later model 1.2hp and see if they work any better. I'm pretty good at retro-fitting stuff.

kfa4303

Banned

I "think" you can get parts for old Gamefisher brand motor through Sears, but I'm not sure about Tanka brand per se, even though they should be the same. Might be worth a shot. I got my little 3 hp Gamfisher running again over the weekend. Not the prettiest motor in the world, but it's tough and putt, putts right along.

robert graham

Admiral

I've been running a Tanaka 3HP since 1983, good little motors, but parts getting a bit scarce. Google around for several Sears/Tanaka Outboard Parts. Outboard Equipment Outlet #2 and Engines Southwest LLC has some parts, but no more new throttle cables available for my motor. Regarding those starter pawls and springs, you could take a piece of about 1/8" or 3/16" steel plate, a hacksaw and a grinder, and make one pretty quick, using your good one for a pattern....same with those little springs. Good Luck!:)