old montgomery ward fuel hook up

slayerklzu

Cadet
hi guys i've recently inherrited an old montgomery ward outboard and im a bit confused as how to hook up the fuel lines. there is one ribbed connector coming off from the carb just above the float bowl and then there's another connection coming out of the wall straight out in the same direction as the carb and control knobs. i know its kind of a dummy type description but any help with this would really help me. thanx

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: old montgomery ward fuel hook up

How about some pictures or model number, or anything so we at least know what you are working on. Several companies made motors for Wards.

I wouldn't call the description "dummy", but it is confusing.

woodsailboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your motor was sold buy sears and is likely made by eska. If so then you probably have an onboard fuel tank. The ribbed connector is for the onboard fuel tank and the other one is for a seperate fuel tank for when you are going long distances. If you do not have an onboard fuel tank then just forget about the ribbed connector and just get a seperate fuel tank for it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

sears never sold any montgomery ward stuff:facepalm:

back in the day I had a montgomery ward sea king 5 hp... It had a built in tank in the shroud and an input for a remote tank so that it could be run with either tank. As F R indicated we need more details and pictures would REALLY help.

M

mrcrabs

sears never sold any montgomery ward stuff:facepalm:

Even though its 2:30am and I'm up puking sick with fever from the flue I still got to chuckel at this...all in good fun though, watch out for this years flue bugs fellas its ugly.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Had my flu shot. But stay away from me anyway.

Slayer, your motor most likely is a Clinton. But I can't say that for certan without more info. Typically, there will be a pulse hose from the intake manifold to the fuel pump. There will also be a hose from the fuel pump to the connector where you attach the tank hose assy. Finally, there will be a third hose from the fuel pump to the carburetor, however on some Clintons the pump is directly attached to the carb with no hose. That's the best anybody can do without more info.

slayerklzu

Cadet

these are the pics i could take i hooked up a jerry rigged gravity feed tank to carb and it runs i just know it's not the way its supposed to be

Attachments

• Sophia 268.jpg
    Sophia 268.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Sophia 269.jpg
    Sophia 269.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 1

slayerklzu

Cadet

and the only numbers on the motor whatsoever are BJ9 1106c
60 28923 R

F_R

Supreme Mariner

As I thought, it is a Clinton. But where is your fuel pump? Look at your second picture. That is the pulse hose coming out of the intake manifold. It goes to the pulse fitting on the fuel punp-----which is missing. If you look beyond that fitting in your picture, you will see where the fuel pump is supposed to be. It actually is integral with the steering bracket/carrying handle.

EDIT: Actually, unless you have the correct fuel tank with a Clinton hose connector, The fuel pump isn't going to help you much. The female part of the connector is part of the pump. Those Clinton connectors are about as rare as chicken fangs. I suggest you get a Mikuni kart pump (google it) and a set of standard OMC connectors. It won't be as "pretty", but it will run.

EDIT EDIT: J9 is the Clinton model number, 1106c is the "type" number.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The one in the link is the one you want. Run a hose from the intake manifold fitting to the nipple on the flat side of the pump. That is the pulse hose. Crankcase pressure pulses are what drives the pump.

The other two nipples on the pump are fuel in and fuel out. Hopefully, they are marked with arrows or something. Self explanitory, fuel out goes to the fitting on the carburetor, fuel in comes from the gas tank.

slayerklzu

Cadet

thanx guys i appreciate all the help, im going to try that pump and let ya know what happens!! thanx again everyone

slayerklzu

Cadet

hey guys i used that pump and ran the motor all season without flaw! thanx for all your info and help, its really appreciated.