Briggs & Stratton 5 hp Stalls now will not start!!!!

jimbobcooter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok so I bought a used B&S 5hp outboard a few months ago and it had minimal use. I went ahead and replace fuel lines, filter, and changed the oil. I took it out and ran it for 2-3hrs. It ran great, started every time no problems. Seeing as how it is winter her I have been going out once a week and starting it and letting it run for until it is hot. Everytime I use it I let it run out of gas for storage purposes.

Today I went out for a little while. But beffore doing so I bought a new fuel cell. Once out on the lake I ran to my fishing spot with no problems.

Later I picked up a friend and we TROLLED around for about 30mins. With a few spurts of half to full throttle. Once I droped him off I went to run back to my fishing spot and she took off just fine. She ran full therottle for about a minute and then died like she ran out of gas. It that time I noticed the vent on the new fuel cell was closed off. When I opened it air clearly pulled in and the tank expanded a little.

After tryin every combo of choke and therottle I finally got it started again. I limped back to the marina and she was running rough. All she would do is idle. If I gave her any gas she would die. After being at the marina for a while I was able to get her to idle rather smooth. When I gave her gas in N she didnt stutter. So, I took of for home again and she ran for a while and died again.

I was only able to get her started again using a 1/4 choke. I was able to make it 15-20min back home with at 3/4 throttle and 1/4 choke. When I got close I tried reducing the choke and she died and has not started again.

I have checked the fuel filter and plenty of fuel is getting thru it. I also pulled the carb bowl and fuel is getting to it. The spark plug has a min amt of moisture on it.

Could it be the period of idle? Did I ruine the fuel pump? Could junk have pulled into the carb?

Any ideas would be appreciated!!!!

M

mrcrabs

Re: Briggs & Stratton 5 hp Stalls now will not start!!!!

Could it be the period of idle? Did I ruine the fuel pump? Could junk have pulled into the carb?
No I doubt you idle is having a period ( motor to young) but the rest of the above is possible....I would be looking at a carb kit just to be on the safe side.

jimbobcooter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So you think a carb rebuild should do it for me?

Does anyone know what happens if you idle too long? The manual says not to idle for extended period but does not specify what the result is!

Thanks for the help!!!

brownhunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've had my B/S for about 6yrs. Never had a problem with it! I never let it run out of gas, I just push the button. But I use it alot. I probably put about 1000 hrs on it! I only got two complaints. One is that it will not troll my 14ft boat any slower then 3.5mph. But I use rapalas anyways so it works out. Also that it does not have a lock for the tilt. You have to strap it down on the boat or it will just flop around while driving. I learned the hard way, I got the lake and found only the transom clamps on the boat and found the motor 10miles back on the road!! Is yours a newer model? Did you try some carb cleaner?