gale buccaneer

grizzreaper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
not sure on the spelling the gale bucc but my friend found trhis motor in his parents basement and his mom wants to sell it. we are looking for any info on it. its a model 3d-19b and serial 363381 any and all help would be grt. thanks in advance

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: gale buccaneer

It is a 1963, last year for Gale production. Gale Products was a division of OMC. OMC also made Evinrude and Johnson motors, but except for the ignition system the little 3hp was very different. Gale made motors for retailers like Montgomery Ward. Buccaneer was their brand name sold through their own dealers. Good motors.

I'd be interested if you want to sell it, but since you have a basement you must not be very close by.

grizzreaper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok thank you and we live in ontario canada but anything is possible and i will post some pics on here.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Oh yea, the 3hp Gales were singles, whereas the Johny/Rudes were twins. I once had a little Sea King of this same design, in beautiful condition. At least ignition parts are readily available.

nwcove

Admiral

i have one of those, its just a parts motor......beat up, siezed up, homemade tiller handle. i looked it up as a fresh water only motor...is that correct? ( grizz, if you are missing any odds and ends from yours, pm me, i would pass along parts for the cost of shipping)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

3D19B is the model number, identifies it as a 1963. There is a surprisingly wide variation in serial numbers though. I can't explain that. Must have made a lot of them, heh.

grizzreaper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

tools 003.jpgtools 007.jpgtools 009.jpg
hope these pics help thanks again everyone for your help.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The difference between your 1963 and my 1959 is the model number and color. And the lower covers are missing off yours

Attachments

• Buccaneer.jpg
    Buccaneer.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 0
  • Buccaneer front.jpg
    Buccaneer front.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 0

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Nice little motor. Reminds me of the Sea Kind I had once. I think my Sea King had a light blue, versus the green though.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Gale had lots of paint colors to go around.

Attachments

• 1956 Sea King catalog.jpg
    1956 Sea King catalog.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 0

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep, the little guy on the lower right corner was the one I had. I think it was a '57 model, but very darned close. You said that they had a huge variation of serial numbers, meaning a lot were made? HAH! Sea King and Buccaneer were just a couple sellers of the good ol' Gale products, huh? Those old Sea Kings were good motors and seriously under rated. My old '47 is a nice runner to this day.