1hp Tanaka

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
So, who would be a good source of parts for one of these? I have a nice looking little drink mixer, but it just needs starter pawls.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 1hp Tanaka

Check Sears/Tanaka outboard parts for most items. Are your pawls gone, rusty, or what? If you could get a photo or picture of a pawl, you might could make a couple from some 1/8" steel plate...not much to 'em!...Good Luck!;)

3rdtimesthecharm

Petty Officer 1st Class

I looked about a month ago for parts for one.Everywhere I looked said parts are NLA for that model.

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe search for a used/disabled motor like yours for sale, to get the parts. I have a Tanaka 3HP that runs good, but also keep an old "parts motor", and it sure comes in handy! If you could find an old one that didn't run, $50 or $100K might be a great investment in usable parts. Good Luck!:)

3rdtimesthecharm

Petty Officer 1st Class

Paid $25 for the one i got just because i wanted the roll-aroud stand it was on for another motor. I think all it needed was a drive shaft/cable to the prop.I gave it to my nephew.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, I got mine at a second hand store for $40. it looks really good, but can't pull it over because the pawls are bad. LOL.

nwcove

Admiral

if it has "plastic" pawls, ive heard of guys making them with poly carbonate......just a cutting board from wallyworld, that stuff is strong,cheap, heat resistant, and super easy to work with.

Dayton China

Recruit

Are you talking about the metal pawls or the springs? I just want to confirm.

Yen Lim

Recruit

Check Sears/Tanaka outboard parts for most items. Are your pawls gone, rusty, or what? If you could get a photo or picture of a pawl, you might could make a couple from some 1/8" steel plate...not much to 'em!...Good Luck!;)

If you have not already solve your problem you may be able to repair the old one. Send me an e-mail (EDIT) and I shall send you details including a picture of what I did. Of course my 1 hp is a TOB-12B manufactued January 1975, but I believe the arrangement is similar.

Last edited by a moderator: