Total Newbie. Just bought Tanaka 550

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewToOutboards

Recruit
Hi everyone. I am totally new to boats and outboard motors and trying to learn about the outboard motor that I just bought. It is a Tanaka 550 and it has been hit and miss trying to get information as it has been discontinued for a while now. When I bought it, we tested it for about 20 minutes and it seemed to work great. But the previous owner said it has not been used much. I was wondering where is a good place to buy parts and what parts I should look at changing? I am thinking maybe spark plug, gear oil to start. I could not figure out if this motor had an oil filter. But any recommendations on parts I should change out would be appreciated. Some of these threads on here are helping so will do more research.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Total Newbie. Just bought Tanaka 550

Tonaka 550 5.5 hp,6.7 cu in.CDI ignition,NGK BPR 7HS plug set at .025.
Fuel mix is 50:1,2.6 ozs per gallon. use TCW3 rated oil or any good 2 stroke oil.
Sae 90 gear oil.One piece connecting rod 2 piece crank.You'll need a service manual
I use a aftermarket manual covering various brands 69-89. A factory manual would be better.
Motor has a centrifical clutch. In gear at idle the prop will stop.Powerhead is aircooled the leg is water cooled by water pushed up the water tube by the prop wash.And likely you should not run too long with the prop stopped. Look up Tanaka on the net for parts and stuff.

NewToOutboards

Recruit
Re: Total Newbie. Just bought Tanaka 550

Tonaka 550 5.5 hp,6.7 cu in.CDI ignition,NGK BPR 7HS plug set at .025.
Fuel mix is 50:1,2.6 ozs per gallon. use TCW3 rated oil or any good 2 stroke oil.
Sae 90 gear oil.One piece connecting rod 2 piece crank.You'll need a service manual
I use a aftermarket manual covering various brands 69-89. A factory manual would be better.
Motor has a centrifical clutch. In gear at idle the prop will stop.Powerhead is aircooled the leg is water cooled by water pushed up the water tube by the prop wash.And likely you should not run too long with the prop stopped. Look up Tanaka on the net for parts and stuff.

Wow, thanks for all the information! I really appreciate it. I will dig around for the service manual so that at least I can change out the gear oil as that might be old.

RUF918

Recruit
I have a Tanaka 550 and I am looking for a recoil starter assembly for it. I finally got it running and the starter rope got caught up and destroyed the starter coil. Any suggestions? NewToOutboards do you still have yours?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have a Tanaka 550 and I am looking for a recoil starter assembly for it. I finally got it running and the starter rope got caught up and destroyed the starter coil. Any suggestions? NewToOutboards do you still have yours?

Read the Help Tip on top of the page and start a new thread. The OP doesn't visit anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.