5hp Air Cooled Briggs and Stratton Problem

Billy Troy

Recruit
Hello folks. I am owner of a 5hp Briggs and Stratton boat motor. It is air cooled. I am not good with motors at all, and know very little about them. The motor has worked great for me for the most part. Yesterday I went out in rough conditions on the lake in my little Jon Boat. The motor stopped working on me after a big wave hit the motor from behind as I was slowing down. It would not start again. I floated to a dock and pulled the motor onto the dock. As I was doing that, a lot of water dumped out of the motor. The motor then later started. I went out again, and the same thing happened. I could not start it right away. I dumped some water out of the motor while out on the lake, but it still wouldn't start. I got a tow back home and put the boat up :eek:. As I was bringing the motor up a fair amount more water dumped out again. I have not tried to start it since then. Water has never dumped out of the motor before.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks a lot guys!

fucawi

Banned
Re: 5hp Air Cooled Briggs and Stratton Problem

First keep it plug up at all times its not on the boat. Drain engine oil and replace ..only SAE 30 no multigrade . Pull over many times with the plug out . Then it should start . You may need to drain or remove the carburetter float bowl as you may have water in that. Blow with compressed air if you have it .Sounds like you may have filled the exhaust silencer with water so take that off and drain it or it will go back into the engine and wet the plugs and corrode the internals .Let it run for about 20 min when it starts to dry it out and remove any moisture

M

mrcrabs

Drain engine oil and replace ..only SAE 30 no multigrade
Once again erroneous information :eek:, when will it stop? please use what your manufacturer recommends SAE 10W-30/40, SAE 30 is a cheap oil thats paraffin base will break down fast with heat and is used primarily for break in periods only these days. Your outboard will run better & last longer with a synthetic version of your favorite oil. Your B & S engine manual will show you what to expect from the different types of oil.

as far as the water issue thats to bad and not the first time I have heard that story, best to stay in on big water days or buy a old Eska, they will not have that problem :)

robert graham

Admiral

Your motor is basically a lawnmower engine, not much protected from water with a shroud or cowling, maybe stay off the lake during rough, windy conditions. Try not to get killed!;)

fucawi

Banned

here is the chart

Attachments

• 0F9357532AC946F5B1F09BE231073F95.jpg
    0F9357532AC946F5B1F09BE231073F95.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 0

Billy Troy

Recruit

Thanks guys for the help. I am still very curious about the root of the problem. The motor would be running fine, then it would completely cut out, as if it had sucked in a bunch of water at that particular moment. Because it is air cooled, is there an air intake that got under the water do you think?

fucawi

Banned

The air in take for the cooling is at the top under the cowl so not that one...more likley it choked the exhaust ...or carb ..or got the coil wet ....you say it spat water out ..by that I think you mean the exhaust ..that cannot possibly have gone through the engine must have gone into the silencer.....mine has an extension to an under water exhaust.

Attachments

• AAAAA24 093.jpg
    AAAAA24 093.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 0