Torque specs for 1966 Sears 4HP (McCulloch) Prop

FishinBud

Recruit
Hey "Guys",

Hoping someone can help me here. I've failed at finding torque specs for the prop after hours of searching. It was less than hand tight. Any guess shot even would be more than appeciated. Thanks alot guys and gals and cheers to ya's and the site!

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Torque specs for 1966 Sears 4HP (McCulloch) Prop

usually when i tighten my prop onto the shaft, i hand tighten it, then turn the holding nut to the next slot for the cotter pin to slide through the hole. overtightening is not a good thing unless you carry lots of tools on board to work on the motor on the water. i had a steel leader wrap around the inside of the prop and had to remove it on the water to free everything up, if it had been super snug it would never have come off. that is the reason for the cotter pin so it doesn't come off the shaft, the same way as a king pin nut on the axles to your trailer.hope this helps you, 5 inches of rain in the last 30 hours, sun is finally poking through. tomorow looks like a good day on the water.:)

FishinBud

Recruit

Sorry to hear bout the rain. And thanks for the info, I ran in in a 35 gallon pail for about 20 minutes, trying to adjust carb, not sure if the carb needs cleaning because it runs a little rough. I have to ask: on the float bowl there are two holes the ceter one for the jet and another off to the side but still underneath on the bottom, about an inch or so away from the jet, someone stuck a screw in it from the cowling or face of the engine...any idea if there is supposed to be a specific screw there, I replaced it with a screw with a spring so that I can ajust the float, but, I only have two turns on it so that it is not touching anything inside the bowl. Narwhals I've owned this boat and motor for ~6years and they haven't "seen water" yet...be nice to get her out before season's end! Thanks for the help!

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i'm not familiar with that model, if you post a picture of the carb that would help. i have seen carbs that have a small screw in the bottom leg of the carb but it usually is a screw that holds the main jet inside the carb. without seeing the carb i really can't give you the info your looking for. anyways its another day of rain,low pressure has parked itself over us and hasn't moved in almost a week.i guess i'll find something to do inside to keep idle hands busy. tomorrows another day to look forward to.