Briggs and Stratton 5 hp outboard will not shift to forward TAKE 2

JMoors

Cadet
I just bought this motor off of craigs list and had the guy start it up and the engine ran fine. He said he only used it one weekend and had no problems. So bought it got it home and the motor will go from neutral to reverse but not to the forward position. I have not tried this while running. I live in an apartment complex and they wouldn't like me to run it on the patio. I plan on taking it to my in-laws and trying it there. Has anyone had this problem. It just will not physically move to forward.

Thanks,
John

Had to re-post this because it was closed and the only semi help I got was this: "give a little pull on your starter rope while you wiggle the shifter and see if it will go into forward" and the oil subject. Currently I don't feel it is an oil issue because it was just changed and the shifter mechanically will not move to forward. I will mount it on a stand or something and try the advice of a little pull to see if I can get it into forward. Any other ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

John

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Briggs and Stratton 5 hp outboard will not shift to forward TAKE 2

Sorry your thread got messed up by some other members. We try and keep this place from getting out of hand, that's why it was closed. A do over was in order. Good luck and welcome aboard :)

fucawi

Banned

I have the parts manual for this if you need a copy . The sump oil is nothing to do with the shift but it might be worth checking the gear box oil at some stage ..drain it out into a clear vessel and let it settle ..examine the bottom for shiney metal bits.. re fill with EP 90 oil. You can pm me any time as I actually have had one of these for some time and know it inside out .

Attachments

• american irion.JPG
    american irion.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 5

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Usually if you rotate the prop as you try to shift it will go in.The same if you rotate the flywheel.Be sure the kill switch lanyard is disconnected.

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most of the time my Merc 5 hp will not go into reverse unless its actually running. No issues at all while its running.

JMoors

Cadet

Thanks QC ... I fully understand been on forums for many years, you were right in closing it. :)

JMoors

Cadet

fucawi ... Thank you very much for the info on the sump oil, I will check that. Also for the additional offer of a PM. I have no problem reaching out for help when I am over my head. ;-) I rely on people with more experience. I also like to help. I like your thumbnail.

steelespike ... good idea about rotating the prop or flywheel, and thank you for reminding me about the killswitch!

jspansel ... good to hear about your merc having a similar issue.

The issue I have also is that I live in an apartment complex and I have the motor on my patio laying flat. I am going to try and make an engine stand for it tomorrow so I can get it off the ground and vertical to start really looking at it. Once that has happened I can try a little better trying to get it checked out. I might take it over to my in-laws house so that I can work on it there and actually run it without getting in trouble. I miss having my house sometimes ... I'll update this thread in a couple days once I can get it in a place to really see what is going on. Maybe there really isn't anything wrong with it. That would really make my day.

Thanks again everybody, I can tell I am gojn g to enjoy being on the forum.

John

fucawi

Banned

If you have been storing it plug down then it will be difficult to start ..take plug out and pull over many times ..put in some petrol through the plug hole and pull over again ....repeat ...then try with the plug in ..mine always needs full choke hot or cold ..dont forget the 1ft length of 3 x 2 to put in the mount as you have no shallow water positon.

JMoors

Cadet

Well I made the Motor Stand with a walker I picked up at a Good Will Store. Got the motor on it and pulled it through a couple times and I can now put it in both forward and reverse, and of course neutral. So I think all is fine I just need to take it somewhere away from the apartment building so I can run it. fucawi, i didn't understand this "dont forget the 1ft length of 3 x 2 to put in the mount as you have no shallow water positon. " would you please explain that a little better for me?

View attachment 113664

Thanks everyone.

John

fucawi

Banned

usually you can lift a motor up to about 45 deg when on the back of the boat and it locks in place with a catch provided by the maker ...no such device on the briggs you need to put a block of wood between the clamp and the drive shaft to hold it up say when launching /putting on trailer ....length of rope on the rear "handle" to help you lift it is also good and then put the block on the other end .....all good briggs fun and games.

Briggs only ever made this one outboard ..why should he?
Briggs owned Johnson !

JMoors

Cadet

usually you can lift a motor up to about 45 deg when on the back of the boat and it locks in place with a catch provided by the maker ...no such device on the briggs you need to put a block of wood between the clamp and the drive shaft to hold it up say when launching /putting on trailer ....length of rope on the rear "handle" to help you lift it is also good and then put the block on the other end .....all good briggs fun and games.

Briggs only ever made this one outboard ..why should he?
Briggs owned Johnson !

Got it now I didn't realize they hadn't done that Great, a peice of wood and rope it is!!!

John

r.henley

Recruit

If u r still having trouble with ur motor i can tell u something to check.i also had this problem with the same motor but i did it after hitting a shoal in a shallow river.1st take the prop off and set it aside now pullthe shaft that conects to ur prop out twords the end of this shaft it has grooved teeth with a part that goes around the teeth.this part is spring loaded and should move freely along those teeth.if it doesnt then take out the pin located on the peice that should slide while u are looking at the spring its right above it just use a small
punch to take it out.once out take the sliding peice off and feel the teeth i had to take a triangle file to mine the
were burred and wasnt
alowing it to move fr
ely.just f
ile them down and replace pin should fix ur problem.if not then just take off the rubber fiting above the lower unit and adjust the silver slide forward to give urself moreof the rod to move downward and it will engage ur forward gear but do check to see if that that peice is sliding on ur gear shaft 1st i bet thats ur problem and all u will have to buy is a new pin easily found at any auto parts store.hope

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy r.henley.

Welcome to iboats. :)

We are glad you are here, but please read our rules before reopening an old, dead thread.

Rule #12 and the BIG RED BANNER that you ignored ask you not to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 90 days or more.

Thanks for your cooperation. :)