• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

eska(sportfisher)1971 model #1733c 5hp

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eska(sportfisher)1971 model #1733c 5hp

ive learned a lot of info from you guys about every eska model except this one lol but it sounds like the sears brand may be the closest thing to what i have as far as troubleshooting..anyh comments?

Re: eska(sportfisher)1971 model #1733c 5hp

it is an eska with a tecumseh power head AV-600, and a tecumseh carb which you should be able to get parts at any old tecumseh dealer "small engine mechanic". most of the parts come in a standard rebuild kit for a typical snowblower, "bowl gasket,welch plugs,needle,seat,bowl nut gasket. what are you trying to trouble shoot. do you have a spark and compression tester? most of the eskas are very similar and can be easily troubleshooted by poting any symptoms that you are having with your unit. good luck on your project.

Comment

well rt now no troubles except for the flapper valve gasket and the impeller. the cost is not bad but the shipping is OUTRAGEOUS! and dont have the testers you mentioned. but the motor started right up with a shot a gas to the carb. should be an easy project. and i hope so cause its my FIRST project and outboard lol

Comment

update. ignition is hot. very strong spark.the flywheel is frozen to the shaft atm so ima leave the points as is for now.it starts first pull (if i open the choke as soon as it kicks)(???) jus waitin for a impeller so i can set the carb under a load. any ideas on the choke deal?

Comment

the carb appears to have been rebuilt. the needle above float has a rubber tip instead of the steel and a seat. is this a normal replacement part? the spring with the needle is a comp. spring that slides over the end of the needle. is this also normal?

Comment

i don't think that is a normal replacement part "rubber tipped needle" as most tecumseh carbs have a needle and seat, if the carb works properly you can leave it alone. if the unit was mine i would return it back to normal parts but that is because i have access to parts very easily.i've got a few extra valve flappers if you can't locate one. the idle adjustment screw does have a spring on it, that is normal the adjustment setting for the idle screw is one turn out from the seated position, this refers to screwing in the needle until snug then backing out one turn, do not overtighten or you'll risk damaging the needle or carb. most carbs have an auto jet in the bottom of the carb which is the also the bowl nut, some of the older models do have an adjustment for the high speed and that should be set at one turn out to start as well, then adjust after it is warmed up and under load for optimum results. my eska starts up with the choke on then runs like a champ after warm up.good luck and keep on posting if you run into any problems.

Comment

ahh the flapper valve. yes an extra would be nice indeed.ty the one now LOOKS ok. no tears or holes. can the flapper lose elacticity causeing poor suction of fuel? the motor runs fine with an elevated tank but poorly otherwise. the duckbill seems ok(useing the blow into it method) no holes etc. the rim is a little dryrotted but seats good against the gasket.

Comment

pump element part #630953 can be cross referenced over to an oregon part # and cost you maybe 10$ at any small engine repair shop. that was the culprit on my eska that gave me fits for months until some very wise people helped me troubleshoot my problem on this site. one of these days i'll get the cross reference # to all the parts, for my knowledge and to help others. i was able to get the valve flapper off of sears website 631554 but it wasn't the problem.i'd get the pump element first and if that doesn't work send me a private message and i'll send you a valve flapper unless you want one anyways then pm me and it will be in the mail. good luck

Comment

thats gr8 ty.

Comment

when replacing the pump element it goes in at a 45 degree angle / if your looking directly at the opening of the carb. you can probably find a picture of this on a previous post.

Comment

according to Eskaman we should refer to it as the 2 & 8 O'clock position

Comment

everything looks right per the manual floating about here cept for the rubber tipped needle..i found a simple carb kit locally but no fuel element.and acted like it was a bother for him to try to find one if he did have it...some ppl have no class...

Comment

i found a simple carb kit locally but no fuel element.and acted like it was a bother for him to try to find one if he did have it
                          regardless of the many postings of lawnmower shops having the fuel pump element and rebuild kits for Eska made outboards its really depends on the demographics of where you live, most lawnmower shops have never heard of a tecumseh fuel pump element...and one other thing, ask your self if you feel comfortable with old stock rubber parts??? call www.certifiedpartscorp.com about $7 plus postage....brand new

Comment

yeah ive already got a list made out for cpc mrcrabs...proly go ahead and get the full kit from them and some xtra flappers from narwhals...oh and the impeller i need they gots aswell...

Comment

moved the question to another thread...

Comment

Working...
                              X