Help identifying small air cooled Mcculloch outboard motor

ChryslerBoatMan

Recruit
Hi there everybody. I recently bought a small air cooled mcculloch boat motor from a guy who fixes up old engines and such. Its likely from the 60s and its a single cylinder motor designed for fishing. It has a gas tank ontop painted black with much of the writing that was once there faded off, however the word "Sears" is still partly there. the rest of the motor is painted white.

The metal tag on the transom mount reads:
"Serial NO. 82250 1418
Model NO. C574 60007
Simpson-sears ltd. Canada
"

I don't know the motors horsepower, build date, or any other details about it. I was hoping someone on here could help me find these things out. I'm pretty sure its either a 3hp or a 5hp but i have no way of knowing for sure because it doesnt actually say on the motor.
Any information about my motor would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,

John

ChryslerBoatMan

Recruit
Re: Help identifying small air cooled Mcculloch outboard motor

Thank you for your help last season, do you by any chance know the oiling ration for this 1960 3.6hp McCullough motor? I think I ran 40-1 in it last year, but im not sure if thats actually the right ratio. Some guidance would be helpful.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Not sure of the ratio but the more oil the better. I would use a lower ratio like 25 to 1 or 16 to 1. Also, be sure to use oil for air cooled motors like chain saws and not the TCW outboard oil. Better to be safe than sorry.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Funny, I know I need an eye exam, but I don't see that model listed. Anyhoo, boatman are you sure it is air cooled? I believe the 3.6hp motors were water cooled. They evolved out of the old Scott-Atwater motors of the 1940's. Now, yes there were air cooled McCulloch Sears motors of 4hp. An adaptation of the McCulloch chainsaw engine. Both are single cylinder

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

F_R may well be on the money. It may be a water cooled motor. I have a 1962 Scotty (McCulloch) 3.6 and it's water cooled. I also have 1961 Sears 2.0 which is air cooled. Both are single cylinder.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Not that it matters but sorry I got the years and motor mixed up. The 2.0 Sears is a 1962 and the Scotty is a 61 fyi