• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Sears - Gamefisher Outboard Motor 1.75

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sears - Gamefisher Outboard Motor 1.75

I just purchased a used "Sears - Gamefisher Outboard Motor 1.75" and need a little help!
    Here is the info I have,
    Model: 298-585180 SN C042321 Do I need oil in the lower unit? if yes what type and brand works best!
    Do I need to grase anywhere?
    Does anyone have a copy of owners manual they can share?

Thanks for any help, StarGazerI
    usadco@comcast.net

Re: Sears - Gamefisher Outboard Motor 1.75

Any gamefisher with the 298 prefix is made by Tanaka.

Schematics
    http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...dMod=298585180

Still looking for a manual...

I'm not sure about the gear oil. I see in the gear case section of the sc hematics that it has parts number 38 and 39. 38 says drain gasket/seal so it's possible.

Have you taken a compression test or spark test?

I would grease alittle around the transom clamp bracket and mabey the part where the tiller connects to the engine. Other than that if it just gonna be fresh water use just spray it down with the hose when done. If it gonna be saltwater lightly grease every bolt/screw from the lower unit up to the mid section.

DamianJP
    "Idling like a clock and pissing like a race horse." -DamianJP

Comment

does the lower unit have two screws?? any lettering around them?? if it does it might say vent on top and fill on the bottom. if so yes it does have gear oil, a good indication if it does is unscrew the bottom something should come out i would hope. i fill my 1976 eska from sears with 80-90w gear oil i use valvoline and change it offten. esspecially if it leaks

Comment

Thank's DamianJP.
        1. Have you taken a compression test (YES)
        2. spark test? (YES) all good

There is 3 scerws on the lower unit.. 2 to hold the caseing and 1!! Dont know?

Thank your for your answers and questions. Im still hopeing to find a manual!!

Thanks Again! StarGazerI

Comment

Thanks axeman! It only has 2 scews for holding plate on and 1 screw (I dont know what its fore). and still looking for a operations manual.. Thanks again! StarGazer I

Comment

if i'm thinking the what your seeing you are looking at an inspection plate just above the lower unit.
            if it is an inspection plate the bolt you see in there could be (like in my case) the gear shifer does you outboard have forward N Reverse? for me i have an eska and right above the inlet holes for my impeller is a vent screw for the lower unit lubricant and at the bottom of the unit by the prop(not really like 4 to 5 inches away) near the back is a larger fill screw. does your gamefisher have any of the things listed above?

Comment

Hi Axeman! Thanks for the input but, it doent have a Reverse.. just forward to go into Reverse, you rotate motor 180 deg. LOL Thanks for the input StarGazer I

Comment

no problem hope you got the gear lubricant all sorted out. i'm 95% sure yours does have some lubricant in the gear drive.

Comment

Hey Star

Can't find a 1.75 owners manual (Yet...), I have the same 1.75 and have been looking for one for abit too.

But Iv'e found the 120 (1.20HP) one...
                  http://www.tanaka-usa.com/pdf/manuals/TOB-120_300.pdf

Says this...

Gear Housing
                  Check gear housing for proper level of grease after first 4 hours of operation
                  and every 50 hours thereafter. See Storage section for annual maintenance.
                  To check and fill unit with gear oil, pull motor out of the water and place in an
                  upright position. Remove spark plug wire. Remove housing drain plug and
                  washer. Insert nozzle of lubricant tube fully into hole and squeeze tube until
                  excess oil flows from around nozzle. Replace plug and washer. Tighten securely.
                  NOTE: Use 90 weight Hypoid Gear Oil.

Page 12 of the first link to the whole manual. Seems the screw by itself is the fill and drain all-in-one.

DamianJP

Comment

Thanks GOOD INFO!! Ill keep you all posted too! Best Regards StarGazer I

Just found this too!
                    Did you know!
                    Tanaka air-cooled, all two-stroke outboard motors were manufactured by Tanaka Kogyo Ltd. Co. in Japan from the mid-1970ôs until 2002. They were produced under 3 different brand names
                    Tanaka, Sears Gamefisher and Aquabug. There were different colors and labeling configurations, but within each horsepower rating (1.2 HP, 1.75 HP, 3 HP and 5.5 HP) the motors were identical except for the shroud / decals.
                    Last edited by StarGazerI; July 26th, 2011, 09:49 PM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

Good stuff man !

Comment

Good News!!!! Found manual and parts too!

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...00032189/00002

I purchased a bunch of stuff and Manual.. When I get it I will "YOU KNOW" so send me an email address to use! usadco@comcast.net

Best Regards, StarGazer I

P.S. Hey I use to live in Palm Beach for 20 years too.

Comment

Hey! got the motor cleaned up and started grate and adjusted carb so blade stops at idle. Manual was a god-send. I removed all gas-lines and carb and gas filter and did a total cleanning and replaced carb float only.

Hows yours comming? Best Robin

Comment

Sorry about inbox full, I emptied it abit so feel free to PM for now.

Well unfortunately my Gamefisher 1.75 is on the back burner for now. Iv'e got a buddies Evinrude 25hp and my BMW to do before I "dig" into my tanaka. I might need some more parts for it than I thought but It will be fun to get it %100. Nice on just having to replace the float , saved ya some money.

I'll let ya know when I focus on the tanaka and how it turns out.

BTW what kind of boat are ya thinking of hanging yours on?

DamianJP

Comment

Damian, Plan to use it on my NEW PUFFIN 8.6' dinghy from Maine..LOL Need some help though! Please check your Spark Plug and tell me what is in yours! Also, sent you a email outline of your Lower Unit too. Need info ASAP!!

Robin

Comment

Working...
                              X