Mcculloch/Ted Williams 9Hp Help

egibsontx

Cadet
I have acquired a 1967 9hp Ted Williams/ Mcculloch Md# 574-59740. Have rebuilt the Coil/Ignition to get spark. Cleaned the carb. It fires but does not stay running. Have a Elgin/Mcculloch 7.5hp and ran into same problem but was given info to set carb settings back to factory. I wanted to know if if was the same here on the Idle and Rich/lean setting? Any other advise would be helpful. Thank you.

egibsontx

Cadet
Re: Mcculloch/Ted Williams 9Hp Help

5-10 secs. The prev owner bypassed the fuel inlet so im running direct. Have cleaned out varnish and screen is good, so im planning to reconnect. Ive made slow turns, equal on each, at the 10 sec mark start priming the blub, still dies. I also see there is no spit so I need impellers.

truckintyler

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is this an air-cooled unit? Never heard of a 9 hp

egibsontx

Cadet

No its water. Made for sears and is not a weedless.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

there was a 9 - similar to the 7.5 - revved higher I think to make the extra 1.5

the fuel pump diaphragm in the carb is a popular source of "won't stay running" symptoms.

you must be loving pulling the powerhead out of there by now.... man I hate working on those.

egibsontx

Cadet

Done it say 9 times between my 7.5 and the 9hp i have now. Find the 9 is easier due to the shifting setup. The 7.5 runs good. Just know the 9hp is going to be a pain dialing in the carb as its been played with. The 7.5 was 2 turns on the high speed mix and 1.5 turns on the idle. Sure its different on the 9hp. If anyone knows please let me know. Thank you.

M

mrcrabs

the carb settings should be close to the same,

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

you have to use a flywheel puller, then you have to remove the whole powerhead from the unit. After a dozen times, you'll be able to do all that in about 10 min. :)
getting the clips back on the fuel lines at reassembly is always a treat, but practice makes perfect.