3 hp Gale buccaneer

Jameyk

Recruit
I just got one for free. Its in great shape. Good compression. Just dirty. My main question is what kind of lower unit oil do i use? Looks like someone put grease in there. I ran it just for a couple seconds, but i dont wanna run it anymore till i get that changed to the proper oil. Model number 3d11b serial number 513318. Thanks for your help.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3 hp Gale buccaneer

Grease is what it takes. Specifically, outboard motor underwater gear grease. No longer made. Most people use Lubriplate 105 "Motor Assembly Grease", available at NAPA Auto Parts stores.

Willyclay

Captain

Welcome to the iboats.com forum. The members here are great and the experts like F_R can help you solve any problem. At one time I owned a Johnson JW-11 which I believe is identical to your Gale. What a jewel it was and I wish I had it now. Good luck with that great old motor!

snapshot46

Recruit

I just acquired the exact same model Gale Buc. that you have. Mine wasn't for free but its in great shape. Have you changed out the water pump rubber housing in the lower unit? Is your unit pumping water OK thru the exhaust port. The reason I ask, is that, right now, I'm not getting any water out of that port and I think there should be some. What else have you done to your motor? Sure would like to hear from you. If I did this right, there should be photo of my Gale at the bottom here.
Bill
View attachment 114543

Jameyk

Recruit

Sorry it took me a bit to respond. Its runs very good. I put new pointd and a coil in her and flushed the tank. Got it all ready and 2 pulls later she was goin. Problem was it wasnt pumping water. So i pulled the prop and to my surprise the pump wasnt dry at all its in good shape. The lower unit grease is so old and thick it wont allow it to move. So now its all torn apart but i have all the parts i will need at work. Probably have her in the water tonight. Happy Easter to yall!!

Jameyk

Recruit

its pumping water but not as good as id like. the search is on for a new pump