eska 9.9 14210F ser# 4017084

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have been trying to troubleshoot this engine four about five months and i am clueless. I've checked compression and spark on both cylinders and have found nothing out of specs. the motor will run great in a tank or on back of boat out of water with water running through engine. When we put it in the lake the motor will run in nuetral at all rpms with no hiccups at all, when shifting into gear the motor under load will not come up to that sweet sound of a smooth running engine like it is in nuetral. it will slowly come up to speed then will bog down under load ie running in forward then it dies. i start the engine up, it will purr like a kitten in nuetral shift into gear slowly come up to speed then die. I have gone through the carb and found no dirt or obstructions, we have tried running the motor at various different needle positions on the carb and have similar results. we had ignition testers on both cylinders and have good spark.needless to say i am pulling what hair i have left out of my head trying to think what could be the problem. fresh gas good compression good spark runs in tank not on back of boat in gear. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

M

mrcrabs

Re: eska 9.9 14210F ser# 4017084

could be timing or a fuel delievery problem. the fuel pump on these motors are weak and hose size and tank hight are issues to consider, also the float could be set to low or a blockage in the high speed nozzel. you might want to go through the carb again and follow the Tecumseh carb manual to the letter.

reading your post again it sure sounds like you just plan running out of gas, check that float and pump angel, 45 degrees

truckintyler

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just throwing this out there, but the spark advance is controlled by a little disc under the flywheel which has weights and springs check that too might cause it not to run correcty. But it does sound more like fuel starvation.

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i've gone through the carb, even removing the welch plug on the side, all orifices are unblocked. you mentioned the pump angle the carb has the fuel pump on the side with a duckbill. does it matter how the duckbill is installed into the hole? i've inserted the duckbill large piece on bottom with the small sliver piece on the top. when i blow through the carb the duckbill makes the sound of a kazoo. i do agree it sounds like fuel starvation. i've replaced the fuel line from the tank to the engine,completly cleaned the tank,and i'm in the process of rebuilding the carb.i've been rebuilding small engines for about 15 years so i have a fairly good knowledge on many types of carbs, which is probably why this is so frustrating as i know its got to be something simple that i'm missing. the fuel pump on the side only has two parts and niether seem to be old or worn out.the engine had old autolite plugs and i've replaced them with champion rj14yc since rj12y are no longer available and the cross reference came up as the rj14yc.the ignition is controlled by two coil packs one for each cylinder as it is a 1984 based on the numbers in the outboard service engine manual. the engine ran fine all last year until my fall trip in early october and since it has been acting up. thanks for your reply and if you have any more suggestions please let them fly. thanks and enjoy the day.

M

mrcrabs

does it matter how the duckbill is installed into the hole?

yep, / the slot in the pump insert should be turned just a little more than this / to 45 degrees, this could be you whole problem in a nut shell

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks mr. crabs i will try to reinstall the duckbill at a 45 degree angle. i guess if that doesn't work i can replace the fuel pump and duckbill. it might take a few days before i can get it on the water to let you know if it works. thanks again for your help.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

The 45 degrees is a good thing to know about, but I have got it in there at the wrong 45. Not that much fun, really.Tecumseh-2.jpg The Series 2 is the top image.

M

mrcrabs

thats why I used the / mark...nice pic

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i was able to get the duckbill in at the correct angle. is this duckbill supposed to be in two pieces a large part and then a small sliver that fits onto it so it looks like one piece? i talked to a marina and they say its supposed to be only one piece.the duckbill that is in this carb looks as if it was built in one piece then cut into two pieces by a machine as the fit is exact. the marina has the complete rebuild kit, but i don't want to buy parts that are not necessary. is there anyway to find out the correct tecumseh part # for the carb as all attempts online for the 384A engine show the carb listed in my service manual for the 381,381A,381B,and381C engine. thanks again bucket tested motor and runs much better but i will know in a couple days when i get it back on the lake if problem persists or is eliminated. thanks

M

mrcrabs

Nope one piece, I'm suprized gas isn't leaking all over, and you don't go by carb number you go by engine model example T640-15 all tecumseh outboards used the same fuel pump element (duck bill) unless an older one, then they used the gravity flow, its actually a bladder that is pulsed by the engine crankcase pressure to suck the gas from the tank and it will only operate at the prescribed angle

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

your knowledge on these units is extremely helpful.it actually was leaking gas on the last trip and i was disconnecting the fuel line to prevent it from going into the water. i can't believe i didn't remember that but i guess thats what a winter does to you. i was able to locate the gasket,the valve bladder and the duck bill through a couple of local sources. i have a friend who was a registered master mechanic through tecumseh and he had the micro-fiche drawing of the schematics of the 384A and through process of elimination we were able to cross reference a lot of parts over to present day numbers. i'm still in disbelief that he had the stuff on hand and that we were able to do it. if someone is in need of some numbers and is patient i would be happy to help someone else, as you helped me. thank you for all your help.

M

mrcrabs

the 384a is a Tecumseh number, But all of the rights to future manufacture of those extruded rubber parts is owned buy certified parts corp. since a few years ago, and its almost universal to outboards to go by engine number to see whats in what and what goes where, Its hard to find a old Tecumseh dealer anymore who would have such a part. There a few pieces yet I would like to find myself, can I send you a part number?
As far as I know Rupp and Eska may have been the only application the rubber fuel pump element was used on and I'm not sure Rupp even used them, in the Tecumseh engine/carb manual it only shows them on outboard carbs every thing else is gravity flow.

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you send me the part numbers i would be happy to try and help you. any description of the part, model #, serial #, of the unit is always helpful. the more info the better when trying to track down current parts. we actually found a carb kit which contains the pump element and a lot of other parts for a diaphragm carb usually on snowblowers that was cheaper than ordering up just the pump elemnt. i've ordered one of each to see if the pump elements are identical. if they are the same then i can have my friend order up the kit and he can use the rest of the parts for snowblower repair, small toro's old jacobsen units. i am aware that cpc took over the rights to tecumseh, they have a lot of stuff but i've also found parts through oscar wilson and sears for the eska. we actually found a current part number for the electronic coil magneto system still available for my eska, don't know how much longer parts will be available i guess thats why not too many people still work on them. thanks again for all your help.