1950's Lauson Outboard Problems

kastribae

Recruit
Hi

I recentley acquired an old Lauson outboard from a friend. I think its from the 50's or 60's. I can't get it to run. I changed the oil, spark plug, drained the old gas and put new in, changed the lower end oil, cleaned the carb (choke and throttle function smoothly), and the kill switch looks ok considering when its pulled out in the run position, the metal to metal contact is broken. It also seems to have compression because it creates suction at the carb and spark plug hole. Im out of ideas. Its a 4 cycle and not water cooled. Sounds like it wants to start and kinda chugs when the cord is being pulled but wont start.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Lauson Outboard.jpg

Thanks so much!

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1950's Lauson Outboard Problems

Could be many things. Did you verify spark is jumping at least 1/4" gap? Did you verify fuel is making it to carb bowl? Did you verify fuel is making it to spark plugs (should be wet after pulling over if it doesn't fire). Does cleaning the carb mean you sprayed carb cleaner on the carb while installed or you disassembled and cleaned and verified the jets and fuel circuits are clear?

kastribae

Recruit

im a little confused about the spark plug. i didnt set the gap at all i just used it as it came out of the box. there is definitley spark because i shocked myself while trying to find out if there was spark however i wasnt able to get it to jump 1/4". (by that you meant while holding the plug 1/4" away from clean metal, pull the motor and see if the spark goes from the plug to the motor) I didnt know the specs so i didnt mess with it. i did take of the carb, dissassemble and made sure that the jets were clear. the fuel is also in the bowl because there is wetness after trying to start it. Can you use starter fluid into the carb to get it to start? im thinking it is getting spark but maybe not enough if that sounds correct to you??

F_R

Supreme Mariner

What, you did all that work without checking the ignition system? Sticking your finger in a light socket will shock the crap out of you, but it won't make an engine run.

Get in there and check the igniton. Probably has a bad coil. They weren't very good when new.

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, that is not what I meant about testing the spark. They sell adjustable spark testers at Advanced Auto stores.