Tanaka Aquabug 1.75 no spark

meyerboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
just picked this guy up for a whopping 20 bucks. I have a 1.2 that needs a new gas tank, so I thought I would rob this 1.75 and be happy. BUT the 1.75 looks like a very low hours outboard, lots of compression, super clean... but no fire at all. Got to the coil, it looks brand new, took everything apart, shined up the contacts, re-assembled and still nothing. any words of wisdom out there?

Jeremy T

Seaman
Re: Tanaka Aquabug 1.75 no spark

Doesn't look like your getting any responses. Id check all the wires and make sure your getting a good clean connection and there is no corrosion. set the points to .20 from the top of the lobe on the camshaft.

M

mrcrabs

do a search on you tube for coil testing with a multi meter, also check and make sure the points are installed correctly, you could have something grounding out, also the kill button might be causing you a problem

robert graham

Admiral

There's a kill buttom on there that could be grounded...check it out!

meyerboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey thanks for the words of wisdom.... I disconnected the kill switch first thing, and so eliminated that option. What I am going to do is bench test the coil with my working 1.2 gamefisher, as they seem to have the same coil as the 1.75. I will report back.

I should stick to OMC, at least I understand Southbend engineering beter than Tokyo!!

genelotta

Recruit

Hey thanks for the words of wisdom.... I disconnected the kill switch first thing, and so eliminated that option. What I am going to do is bench test the coil with my working 1.2 gamefisher, as they seem to have the same coil as the 1.75. I will report back.

I should stick to OMC, at least I understand Southbend engineering beter than Tokyo!!

Hello,
I was wondering if you still have your Tanaka 1.75. I have a couple "Bikebug" motors (for bicycles), and would like to pick up an outboard.
Thanks, Gene

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Did you try replacing the condensor meyerboy? That also could be the issue. If the coil is in good shape, then it should still be good to go.