1960 Sea King(Gale Buccaneer) 15hp won't accellerate

BonairII

Commander
Just bought the motor to use on my 1980's Bonair II inflatable boat(rated to 30hp). It starts well, idles well, and runs fine. At wide open throttle is just runs at about trolling speed.

I pulled out the choke just a tad and the motor did speed up a bit, but that's about it. Is my motor starved for fuel?

Update: Here's a quick vid of it running in a barrel. The motor is at WOT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Xo--kKhck

Jeremy T

Seaman
Re: 1960 Sea King(Gale Buccaneer) 15hp won't accellerate

Yeah most likely. If I were you i would clean out gas tank and check fuel lines and filters for blockage. Take off the carburetor and clean with carb cleaner. Put in a new plug and try it out again and see if you have any better luck. From what you have said it definitely sounds fuel related. If you go to the link in my post under 1968 Mcculloch outboard and watch my youtube video and your motor is doing what mine is doing then you most likely have an electrical issue.

BonairII

Commander

Hopefully it's not electrical. The coils were just replaced and points were set and I just put in new plugs before I made the video.

Jeremy T

Seaman

i didnt notice the video lol. Im at work and cant watch it. Have you cleaned the carb out already?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Aw come on, that motor is not running at full throttle. The gearshift is in neutral. That's as fast as it is supposed to run in neutral. If it were to run wide open in neutral it would blow up.

There probably is nothing wrong with the carburetor, so leave it alone. Put it on a boat, on the lake and see how it does before you go jumping into something that may not need fixing.

It speeds up when you pull the choke because there is a link between the choke and throttle butterfly. It is supposed to do that.

Jeremy T

Seaman

I have seen plenty of outboards that would rev to full throttle in neutral. Its not good to do so but they will do it.

BonairII

Commander

Aw come on, that motor is not running at full throttle. The gearshift is in neutral. That's as fast as it is supposed to run in neutral. If it were to run wide open in neutral it would blow up.

There probably is nothing wrong with the carburetor, so leave it alone. Put it on a boat, on the lake and see how it does before you go jumping into something that may not need fixing.

It speeds up when you pull the choke because there is a link between the choke and throttle butterfly. It is supposed to do that.

I've already taken it out on the water. It was a dog. It ran very slow. The motor hadn't been run for about 6 months until this week when the seller fired it up in a test barrel. Told the seller about the performance issues and he's offered to make the 3 hour round trip to look at it if necessary. I'd hate to have him go to all that trouble if I can figure it out myself.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Two things to check: in gear, when you twist the throttle over to Fast, does the timing advance under the flywheel go all the way to the right (counterclockwise)? or does the throttle only move the plate so far and then stop? If so, could be a linkage problem.
If your tiller throttle does move the timing advance plate all the way, your timing advance and carb could be out of synch. Take that air horn off the front of the carb...open the choke (front butterfly)...move the throttle to Start...shine a flashlight into the throat of the carb and look for the rear butterfly in the carb...at start, it should be barely cracked open at the top...as the throttle continues to Fast, that butterfly should open fully and smoothly. If not your timing and carb are not in synch.
Learned this years ago when I pulled the carbs off a 73 Merc 500 50hp to clean them and didn't know how to re-synch the carbs and throttle/timing advance...engine ran great, but no top-end...ran like someone had put a governor on it. The local marina mech fixed it for $50 and showed me how to do it...she ran like a scalded ape after that.

Jeremy T

Seaman

you never said if you cleaned out your carb or not. If the engine has been setting then it needs to be cleaned. Even if that doesn't end up being your problem its good preventative maintenance anyway.

BonairII

Commander

haven't pulled off the carb yet. Didn't want to go to that trouble if the gear lever rattling(in the video) was a sign of a serious problem. If it is a big prob then seller said he'd give me a diff motor.

BonairII

Commander

Just found that this piece of linkage was hanging free off the carb. I put it back on and now the motor seems like it's fixed...but I won't know til I can go WOT in the lake. (I can only hit the gas for a second in the test can)
carblinkage.jpg

What is this linkage called?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you found your own problem. Of course it won't run WOT if the throttle isn't opening!!! That is part number 203727, link, throttle lever to cam follower. To the right of your finger is the link between the choke and throttle lever that I spoke of---the one that speeds it up when you choke it.

M

mrcrabs

be careful you might sieze it if you run it @WOT, 2 cycles weren't meant to be run fast, dog them all you can. I mean is really is WOT really necessary? :p cut some holes in the hood so it can breath if you only run it in the barrel ;)

BonairII

Commander

I don't plan on going WOT much at all. I just wanted to know that it was capable of it. All this trouble over a missing 20 cent cotter pin missing in the linkage.

I'm just glad it's fixed. Now, hopefully I'll be able to dial it in once I get on the water. Anyone have any tips on how to use the high and low speed mixture knobs. Should I lean it out til it pops and then back it off a bit? Or maybe lean it til pop and then richen it til it stumbles....and then split the diff?

This is my first outboard, so any tips/help are appreciated.

M

mrcrabs

I'm sorry I was just being fascias with that post, WOT is where my soul lives....in dreams late at night :eek: well good luck and have fun with your outboard and be safe.

BonairII

Commander

Ok here's my latest problem..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o6rM75OwIw

As I motor along the gear lever will rattle sporadically(even under just minor load). I did have some cavitation also a higher speed, so I'm wondering if some the gear lever rattling has something to do with some odd turbulence etc around the prop/transom.

I only opened the motor up to WOT for about 10 seconds. The boat was up on plane in just a few seconds, but I did start to get some cavitating so I let up on the throttle.

Any thoughts on what's causing the gear lever rattle and the cavitation?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I highly doubt that you're cavitating. The word would be ventilating, and that is usually caused by having the motor mounted too high on the transom. Ventilating is when the propeller is sucking in air from the outside instead of being surrounded by water.
It could also be that the propeller hub is slipping under load. The prop is actually two pieces with the inner hub pressed and bonded to the outer prop by a thin rubber "bushing". Once the bushing gives way, the inner hub will slip, the motor will rev up, but you'll go nowhere fast.

BonairII

Commander

The Seaking I have is a long shaft so I'm hoping the motor isn't too high cause I'm not going to cut into the transom.

What could be causing the gear lever to rattle like that(in video) ? The gear lever rattled at a variety of speeds, so I'm doubting that the the prop ventilating could be the reason since it only ventilated while on plane.