Tanaka, Sears Gamefisher 1.2hp potential coil or fuel delivery issue

Chris in Indiana

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This post is really to spread knowledge of my recent experience. I bought one of these little gems recently and had a heck of a time getting it going. It was kept in a garage all it's life and looked wonderful, even the inside of the carb, but would only run for a few minutes (Wonderfully) and then shut down. I was sure the coil was burnt but it had spark even when the engine was good and hot. Plus it shocked me really well so I knew it was fine. Really drove me nuts. Then I went online here and read where some people had a lot of trouble with the petcock valve. Seemed odd since petcocks are historacly very reliable, which is why you see them on tractors. Anyway I ran the motor again, waited until it quite and sure enough there wasn't any fuel in the carb bowl!! I tapped the petcock and fuel went all over the place. Odd how a motor that vibrates so much could have an issue with something sticking. Anyway I picked up a plastic fuel shutoff valve and a fuel filter at the auto parts store and the problem is solved! If you have one of these I highly reccomend getting rid of the old petcock.

chuckloveless

Recruit
Re: Tanaka, Sears Gamefisher 1.2hp potential coil or fuel delivery issue

Novice needs help: I just bought a little gamefisher 1.2 myself and am having the exact same problem! I assume that I can use about any valve/filter for a Briggs & Stratton or whatever, correct? Have any recommendations. Thank you very much.