58 gale 35hp buccaneer help.

fletcher123

Seaman
I have a 58 gale buccaneer 35hp that I just took out of storage. Would not start and figured out it was bad solenoid. I also found out it has electric choke that wasn't hooked up so ran wires for that now and works perfect. Question I have is I was wondering if i could just take off the lower case fin below prop instead of dropping the whole lower unit? I would like to inspect the clutch dog and put in a new spaghetti seal and possibly prop seal Is this possible to do with out dropping lower unit? or would parts fall out and hard to get back together?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 58 gale 35hp buccaneer help.

Need to drop the lower unit.

fletcher123

Seaman

Ok thanks. Next question I have is is it possible to pressurize the lower unit while still together to check for leaks or cracks? I read somewhere somebody suggested to someone but not sure if it would work on this motor.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Yep...drain the oil first.

Mas

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Do not add too much pressure...you're really looking to see if the LU will hold about 5 psi. Submerge the LU and look for bubbles for pressure tests. Or have it hold the pressure for 24 hours. Vacuum tests are really only important with motors with double seals (back to back)...which I do not believe your motor has.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It is easier to reassemble if you drop the complete gearcase so you can turn it upside down to work on, but not totally necessary. I've gone into a bazillion of them without.

Besides, you want to check the drive shaft seal and water pump anyway, don't you?

fletcher123

Seaman

yes F-R I was planning on checking water pump and seal. I sometimes get impatient and want to get out on the water. Had the boat for yr now and haven't been on water except test drive for 5 mins. I had motor in tank last year and was seeing oil in water after running. It could be as simple as a new seal for lower drain plug but want to pressure check to make sure. I believe this boat and motor was abused but for boat,motor and trailer for $200 I can afford to put time and money in it.

fletcher123

Seaman

got the lu off. what a piece of cake. never done one before mainly work on atvs,snowmobiles and lawnmowers. water impeller looks brand new. Sealant on lower unit was toast. Pretty much nothing there. Noticed the 6 bolts around prop case could be leaking...Do i put some sealant around bolt holes inside by spaghetti seal when I mate the surface back together? Or should there be gaskets around bolt heads on outside like lu oil fill plugs? Think i need new prop seal it doesn't seem to be very snug around shaft compared to most oil seals I repaired before. Looks like someone could of used the old indian head sealant when it was repaired before. would someone know if you can get all seals in a kit form or have to buy separate? parts I would need are...
1.prop seal
2.o ring around outside prop seal bushing
3. spaghetti seal (one i had bought already is not the right diameter)

For 1958 gale buccaneer 35hp 35de10b.

My local shop doesn't have stuff to go back that far but wants me to bring in to match parts/seals but said with part numbers they could cross reference. thanks for any help.

fletcher123

Seaman

I found this on Iforums would this be correct seal kit.....sierra 18-2686

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Scotchlock 847 is the correct sealer to use. But you probably will use whatever you have. Put the 847 around the screw holes and sock the screws in real tight. They won't leak.

BTW, like a few thousand other people, you looked at that scunge floating in the barrel and jumped to the conclusion that it was gear oil. It was the oil that you put in the gas, gone through the engine, done its job and out the exhaust where it emulsified with cooling water and picked up carbon particles, and finally into the barrel. Get it out of that barrel and on a boat where it belongs, and it will be a lot cleaner.

fletcher123

Seaman

It was for sure gear oil F_R. big clumps floating. pulled the drain screw and a bunch of water came out with maybe less than 1/5 of the oil i used to fill it up. Your right I used moto 1 sealant. It's the same stuff I use to seal aluminum combustion case halves and aluminum cases together with. Gasoline resistant made for water crafts also is what it says so couldn't see reason not using it. Had used it on a big bore stroker atv motor I built where the case halves is really thin from trenching the case and it hasn't failed so we'll see how it holds up on the lu. otherwise checked everything over and everything seemed good. clutch dogs and gears were in good shape.Did what you said about sealing bolts and got everything back together. From testing in water now it seems good so far so will be going out in the water within the next couple days to see how it runs out. Thanks mas...F_R. you guys have been very helpful.

fletcher123

Seaman

I did a bunch of rewiring on the wires and harness and had hooked up a black wire at motor that was ungrounded to the power head. Now to start motor I have to bump the throttle up from the lowest setting on control maybe 1/2 inch for starter to engage otherwise there's no power to starter and after motor starts and I throttle down to lowest possible setting it will stall/backfire for a split second but keep idling. Why does motor do this? is it possible I have throttle sensor/mercury switch wired backwards somehow? Seems like maybe from last year it also idles higher than it did last year but can't adjust idle down anymore.

fletcher123

Seaman

Is it possible the low setting on carb just needs changing a little for idle? What does anybody think about why motor won't crank unless throttle is bumped up a little? what i mean is only solenoid will click(new solenoid this year) until I bunch throttle linkage from stop a little then starter will get power. Not sure if this is normal because the motor never had the throttle switch hooked up before.