1948 Scott Atwater Cooling problem

waldome

Cadet
After replacing empillar, checking water pipe, introducing water to the water intake and reverse water in the water outlet. Engine runs and ideles nicely after a very short run. I had an input that maybe I have a head gasket problem. Is this posible as engine runs very good. Help. Bruce

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1948 Scott Atwater Cooling problem

Say what? What makes you think you have a head gasket problem? Just somebody's "advice"? If it runs very good as you say, it probably is ok---for right now.

However, if it has been run hot before you replaced the impeller, it could have damaged the head gasket, and it might blow in the future. It all depends on how hot it got. I always replace the gaskets on a motor that has been overheated.

waldome

Cadet

I have no prior history of this engine, when I got it, it had been in storage for about 30 years. The engine was frozen, I put Marvel mystery oil in the cylinder and it set for about a month, with a strap wrench it came lose and turned over very easy with the plug removed. At this poit I discoverd I had no spark at the plug. Removing fly wheel I found the coil to be defective, after replacing the coil the engine came up running while being in a barrel of water I noticed there was no water at the port where there should be water coming out. I removed the lower unit and replaced the impeller. Still no cooling. I again removed the lower unit to inspect the feed tube to the engine it was in good shape. So this is where I am and then someone said it could be the head gasket????
This is where I stopped and decided to see if someone could suggest another area I could look at.. Thank you for reading this novel..Bruce

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well, with what you just said, I don't think it is the head gasket. You probably are overlooking something with the water pump. Does yours have the rotary vaned impeller or the wobbler type? If the vane type, does it have a stainless steel liner in the pump cavity? If it does, is it bulged up in the bottom?

A model number would be nice so I can look up the parts list to see just what you have.

waldome

Cadet

The impeller is a wobbler type. The model of the Scott is 480

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Outside of obvious wear, there isn't much to go wrong with those pumps. Did you install a new rotor (impeller)? If they are swollen they won't work. Other than that, check for wear in the cavity where it runs, and a worn/undersize eccentric cam. Also, the tab on the rotor must be a resonably close fit or it will bypass the outlet water back to the intake side. I believe it is possible to install the anti-cavitation plate upside down, but it won't work because the water holes won't align.

Um...if I remember correctly, there is a right side up to the rotor (slightly tapered).

Attachments

• Lower Unit and Propeller.jpg
    Lower Unit and Propeller.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 0

waldome

Cadet

Hi Fred just trying to see if this will work without the token error

waldome

Cadet

Thanks very much F_R for having me replace what I thought was a good impeller with a new one and my cooling problem has been fixed. Ran motor Sunday, most of the day fishing and it pumped water with no cooling problem.
So thanks again......................Waldome........................

sandbg1

Cadet

I had one of these it was full of sand. I cleaned the water pump tubing and the head and it started pumping. Maybe thats your problem.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Should this problem arise again, connect a water hose to the water tube and run water through it. This will flush out any debris that might be in it and also tell you if the cooling system will flow water correctly.